Drake with a leaking flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark J. Wallin

Reaction score
I have a two year old Drake (ECO model I believe) with a 3" flush which developed a loud squealing noise problem after being flushed. I fixed that by replacing the disk inside the flush valve, but then I noticed a quieter noise sounding like the toilet was running, which was intermittent and erratic. I turned off the feed valve but the noises persisted so I guessed that the flapper was not sealing.

I decided to try to replace the flapper after doing a little research on replacement. Some of your Youtube videos showed that replacing the flapper was very trivial, except in my case it wasn't. Unlike the flappers shown, mine had a flapper that was made of extremely hard, un-bendable plastic that refused to come off the lugs. Some postings indicated that either you couldn't remove the flapper without replacing the entire assembly (that was supposedly related by a Toto technician) or you had to chop or saw them off (!!). In trying to remove the flapper and not being an expert, I naturally broke off one of the lugs on the pipe. I would like to fix this without removing the tank. I saw a Fluidmaster replacement part (400CARP5) that would do the job but it fits only 2" flushes. Is there nothing like that for a 3" flush? Is the only way to fix this going to require removal of the tank?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
drake-tank-inside.jpg

I don't know of any flapper that can't just lift off the plastic pins. They have had a few different flappers but the same overflow assembly.
The new Drakes are going to be getting a canister flush soon.
For the tank you have though, you can get a new flush valve for it.

http://www.fluidmaster.com/our-prod...omplete-3-flush-valve-flapper-repair-kit.html

http://www.korky.com/flush-valves-kits/large-3-flush-valve-tank-bowl-gasket-kit

gmax_flushvalve.jpg

And the ones that come with the tank.
You will need to remove the two nuts that hold the tank to the bowl, and then pick up some large pliers to remove the nut at the bottom that holds the flush valve on.

korky-3060-2.jpg

korky-3060-toto.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks