Drake v. Ultimate

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by drei, Mar 2, 2006.

1. drei

drei New Member

What an amazing website and forum! I thought the ability to research electronics on cnet was impressive but this hits home a little more!

I am going to replace three horrible builder toilets (unfortunately AFTER some expensive overflow damage.) After reading this site I will be buying Toto toilets.

Unfortunately money is a concern and the Ultramax is out of my budget. The two-piece Drake is close in price to the one-piece Ultimate. Which is the priority between a better flush system (Drake) and the benefits of a one-piece unit (Ultimate)?

Also, my understanding is that the Ultramax is a commercial grade toilet with a higher capacity. Since we aren't flushing wads of paper towels, is the Ultramax really necessary for residential?

Thanks for your help!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The Ultimate is a good value. It's a nice one-piece design, and it's priced well.

I've used them before, performace is pretty good on these.
  3. drei

drei New Member

Which Matters Most?

Thanks for the reply!

I am still wondering if the fact that I can get a better two-piece (Drake) outweighs the benefits of a good one-piece (Ultimate). Long term, which is better?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  4. Reader Review

Reader Review Comments by readers

I lean toward the Ultimate.
  5. Stu L.

Stu L. New Member

that's ok, I sometimes lean towards my toilet after a long night out.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

Look at the Caroma toilets, I like them. Caravell 270 and Tasman
  7. TPA

TPA Member

I have 2 Toto Drakes (installed in ~2002 or maybe 2001) and so far, plunger-free for a house of 4. Without being gross, they see some...um. well., large loads. The old 6-gallon toilets were getting clogged approximately 1-2x per week. Since the Drakes were installed, the plunger's not been used. To be honest, I'm not even sure where it is anymore.
  8. mtjl

mtjl New Member

My Dad says there is no difference btwn one piece or two piece toilets when it comes to performance. He says the one pieces just cost more. He has two drakes and thinks they are fantastic. I believe he has misplaced his plunger as well and is unconcerned about it. ;)
  9. achutch

achutch New Member

The Drake is excellent!

I can vouch for the Drake. Mine has been is use for about 5 months and I haven't clogged it yet. It's amazing how the Drake can do so much with so little water. I highly recommend it.

Matt