Double Combination Tee-Wye (Horizontal)

Users who are viewing this thread

RockRiverShooter

Reaction score
Hello --

Quick question about adding some additional drain (DWV) lines in my basement floor.

Currently, I have a 4" CI running horizontally through the center of the basement slab. It runs from one end of the house to the other, where it exits to the outside. The slope is a generous 1/4" per foot and cleanouts are properly spaced.

I would like to add two powder rooms in the basement which would be located equally perpendicular on either side of the 4". I would prefer to use a Double Long Turn Combination Tee-Wye that I splice into the existing 4". I can then branch out both ways and connect the other fixtures.

Not asking about venting as this will not be a problem and will be done correctly (separate dry vents to roof line -- not wet vent to vertical stack going upstairs.)

I figure a regular Double T would not be appropriate, but the Long Turn Combi looked like a good solution. I thought this would be better than splicing in two separate combi's (one for each powder room). I would continue 4" to each powder room as they make the 4X4X4X4 double.

Any problems with this plan using the Double Long Turn Combination Tee-Wye in a horizontal position? I would prefer this over using two single Combination Tee-Wye's. I know a standard Double Sanitary Tee would be a no-no as it would not route the waste downstream as efficiently as the Double Long Turn Combination Tee-Wye.

Appreciate the feedback.

5836.jpg
5812-LR.jpg
5835.jpg

RockRiverShooter

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I added the image of the Sanitary Cross fitting on the bottom as a comparison. It's apparent the sweep is much less on that fitting and I can imagine a snake ( as well as waste flow) would have a much more difficult time going in the right direction in a horizontal application.

I'll go with the first image of the double combination. This will allow me to branch out in both directions perpendicular to the horizontal main going through the floor.

Take care!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The double fixture fitting can't be used on the horizontal.

On the vertical, the new toilets tend to skip across that fitting, so while it had been a good fitting for the old toilets that took forever to clear a bowl, the new toilets with 3" flush valves don't work well. Or I should say, to overly well and skip across the fitting. If it were my home, I would stack a wye below and make sure the waste from the other bathroom was forced downward.

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The double fixture fitting can't be used on the horizontal.

It is NOT a back to back fixture fitting. It is a double combo and I used them in horizontal runs all the time. ( I did have a space issue once and the inspector did let me use the fixture fitting.

RockRiverShooter

Reaction score
quote; The double fixture fitting can't be used on the horizontal.

It is NOT a back to back fixture fitting. It is a double combo and I used them in horizontal runs all the time. ( I did have a space issue once and the inspector did let me use the fixture fitting.

I knew that a cross or back to back would not be appropriate for the reason Terry explained. Just looking at the fitting on its back, it is obvious there could be a possibility of skipping across the fitting.

The Double Combination has the long radius sweeps that look like they would direct waste in the proper direction as well as a snake (if ever necessary).

Unfortunately, was having a bit of trouble locating the Double Combination at my local supply houses in stock. Keller's set me up with a Double Wye and two 1/8's (or street 45's) which is almost exactly the same. I'm happy with the setup and I'm going to give it a try. It's full 4" all the way, so I should be a good shape.

My trench is a little too tight to stack two single Combinations so the double should do the trick! Proof's in the pudding and sounds like HJ has used this type of setup before with success.

Take care everyone and thanks for the help!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The inspector's "permission" was for an individual job and the fitting was NOT the exact one since it was a back to back fixture fitting and NOT a double combo. But otherwise, I have use double combos in horizontal lines for over 60 years, in Chicago which is one of the strictest codes in the country and AZ.

RockRiverShooter

Reaction score
Hi HJ --

Finished up the DWV rough in and the Double Wye worked great. I removed a section of the 4" CI and inserted the new ABS fitting. New 4" branches go out in both directions with generous 1/4" slope. I even canted the street 45's up a bit.

The existing 4" CI was actually in good shape and had a nice slope out to the street.

Thanks again for the advice/encouragement. I think this will work out great!!

-- It better, as I just finished the concrete patch work yesterday afternoon!!!

Thanks Terry Love Forums!

DSC_0005.jpg

SupermanSC

Reaction score
Would you happen to have a part number for the Double Long Turn Combination Tee-Wye in 3"? It's exactly what I'm looking for but can't find one locally, nor can I find it on any manufacturer sites. I don't have enough room for two wye's. This is for a horizontal run.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I prefer a double wye and 1/8 bend but I can't find anything in the IPC or the UPC that says you can't install a
couble combo on the horizontal. Its certainly not the preferred method if only because rodding the drain can
be tricky but hey, thats someone else's problem LOL

Asktom

Reaction score
I can't see how a double wye & 1/8 would be any harder to snake than a combination, nor do I see anything wrong with using a double wye on the horizonal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is nothing "tricky" about snaking a single or even a double combo. Sanitary crosses, however, are a different animal, no matter where they are installed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks