Do I need to replace this tub faucet?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by cwazyy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. cwazyy

cwazyy New Member

Hi,

I just bought my first home (constructed in 1978) and one of the tubs has this faucet where only the hot water works and not the cold water.

1) Can I just fix the cold water side?
    2) Can I replace the old faucet with a new one without making major alterations, just swap the old one with a new one.

I am attaching pictures of the faucet.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

That looks like a faucet for a trailer...is their access behind the valve wall...
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Wow, I never saw that one, but the handles look a lot like Price Pfister Verve. In any case, a simple seat and washer repair would be easy. Depending on what brand it really is, you may find complete stems, for just a few dollars.

Replacement would require access from the back. It is too low to just replace the valve where it is, because you need 6 to 8 inches below it for the spout. You could cut in a valve higher up, but would need some kind of trim at the old location to cover the holes. The spout would go there, but would not cover the whole thing. Unlikely you could find a replacement for that valve, and if you could, you probably wouldn't want it. It would be a cheapy. Better to just repair that one as needed until you are ready for a complete remodel.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

faucet

it looks like a 6" Milwaukee/Sears wall mount faucet. You may need a GOOD parts supplier to find new parts for it, since they were very specific to that brand and model.
  5. cwazyy

cwazyy New Member

I am in Toronto Canada, who is a good supplier who might have the replacement parts.

How do I identify the exact model and the parts?

Thanks for all the comments!

6. cwazyy

cwazyy New Member

7. hj

faucet

Not likely since it is 8" centers and yours is either 4" or 6" from the way it looks in the pictures.
  8. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

9. krow

krow Plumber

That is an old "ABC" faucet that is discontinued. All parts should stll be available at all plumbing suppliers.

In Toronto: Desco plumbing supply , Nuroc plumbing supply, Hudson's Plumbing supply.

I beleive the Emco seats and spindles will fit this model.If you can't find anything, PM me for more suppliers in your immediate local area. I'm very close by
  10. krow

krow Plumber

Its a 6" centre. A very common faucet in the GTA , introduced in the late 60's, early 70's. It didn't last very long on the market.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  11. hj

faucet

Sears and Milwaukee made them for a decade or more. They were very popular in RV's and trailer homes. Especially the Queen Anne which had a pull down swivel shower riser to change from shower to tub use.
  12. cwazyy

cwazyy New Member

Thanks

I am yet to move into the house, as soon as I do so I will shop around for the replacement parts at the stores suggested by Krow.

I actually have trawled thro the phoenix website, but they do not mention what the size of the faucets are...

Thanks for all the info guys, will keep you posted on how it turns out, my first project in the new home, looking forward to it...
  13. hj

faucet

Most of them will be 8". The 6" dimension was unique to many Sears faucets, kitchen and bath, back in the 50's.