Do I need a vent here?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by JSLayton, Jun 24, 2014.

1. JSLayton

JSLayton New Member

The tub will connect to the main line past the vent connection. Does it need a separate connection to vent? The white lines show where the proposed drain will be. The toilet connection is the end of the main line.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I think you'll find you must vent the tub. The vent must be within a certain distance of the trap whose length varies based on the ID of the drain pipe you're using - you can go further the bigger the pipe before a vent...otherwise, the trap can get siphoned dry.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The tub will need it's own vent in this case. Within 42" of the p-trap.
    The tub waste is 2" after the vent. The trap arm can be 1.5"
  4. JSLayton

JSLayton New Member

Thank you Terry
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome. Don't forget to click a few ads while you're here. :)
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; I thought this forum was to help people with plumbing questions? This comment doesn't seem very helpful.

We are here to help people with DIY plumbing questions, such as how to fix a faucet, NOT to tell people how to install DWV systems which should have a building permit and inspection, which usually requires a licensed contractor. Sometimes the best advice IS to tell you to call a plumber. After all there is more to plumbing than just having a box of fittings, some pipe, and a level.
  7. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Very true HJ although in truth I belong to about a dozen forums, it was late, I was tired and thought I was replying to someone on another forum that doesn't allow anyone other than licensed plumbers too post, so apologies to the OP and do what Terry said to do.