DIY plumbing in Illinois

Users who are viewing this thread

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Quote: "Are homeowners required to have their own work inspected if in an unincorporated area?"

Certain things, yes, like plumbing, electrical, insulation, framing, roof decks and on. Furthermore, things like electrical panels must be done by a lic contractor, not homeowner.

Certain things, no, like decorations, cabinets, floor covering, etc.

You get the point.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Quote: "Are homeowners required to have their own work inspected if in an unincorporated area?"

Certain things, yes, like plumbing, electrical, insulation, framing, roof decks and on. Furthermore, things like electrical panels must be done by a lic contractor, not homeowner.

Certain things, no, like decorations, cabinets, floor covering, etc.

You get the point.
I'm not a pro, just a DIY kinda guy...

Short answer -- it varies a lot. I've never heard of an inspection being waived just for a homeowner, though.

In Ellis county in TX. I built a 2200 square foot 2-story shop with power, gas, heat, A/C,... and all anyone seemed to care about was the $25 permit. I started to argue that the $5 portion for the culvert permit was redundant, but gave up quickly.

In Santa Clara, CA they pulled out a tape measure to check the nail spacing on an exterior sheathing repair. There is not a single pipe/fixture in the entire house that I did not replace (supply water/drain/panel/gas/everything). Lots of permits. All permitted, inspected, and signed off by the city. There were only two things I was not allowed to do -- turn off the water at the meter and run the (my) new service cable past the first 8 feet up the pole... Installing fire sprinklers DIY seems off limits there, though.

In some places, like Massachusetts, it sounds like you are basically SOL.

Whatever your state/county/town allows/requires, you are still required to follow all applicable building codes 100%. No inspections does not mean no codes! Inspections can be helpful, but if you do the work, you are responsible for any problems down the road...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks