Distance of toilet tank from the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
Perhaps it is expecting too much to think that Kohler toilets will fit with the rough-in dimensions that Kohler sent with the toilets.
But I have 2 new Kohler toilets (the same kind) and both are 1 1/2" from the wall -- it seems more likely that that distance is because of how they were roughed-in, rather than manufacturing differences between toilets.

I think that most of the time it doesn't matter if there is a 3/4" difference in rough-in, but in a very small bathroom, it can really matter.

Natalie

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't look at the dimensions for just the BOWL. It is the tank which for most models determines the rough. The bowl will set on just about any rough, certainly 12 or 10, some even on an 8. Most brands use the same BOWL for 10, 12, and 14 inch roughs. It is the TANKS which are different. They differ in the depth of tank, and location of outlet and bolt holes.

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
thanks to everyone that posted. I don't want to sound like I expect too much from the plumber and am blaming everything on him. My biggest problem with him is that after the first 1 1/2 days, we never saw him again -- he sent his apprentice out to work unsupervised and he was never on the job site -- except with the connections that the apprentice made came loose under the pressure test and water was spraying all over both bathrooms.

We hired an experienced plumber and we didn't get that expertise. I think an experienced plumber would have handled the toilet rough-in differently.

Natalie

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The plumbing was roughed in at 12" from the wall according to a post above.
That is what a plumbers is supposed to do.
You can't fault a plumber for being precise.

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
Yes, 12" to the bolts but something is not what Kohler intended if toilet tank is supposed to be 3/4" from the wall and it is 1 1/2" from the wall.

I don't know enough about installing a toilet to know what it is, but something isn't right. I think the answer is that the plumber didn't take into account the tank size.

Natalie

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
I think I know the problem. The measurement is a little over 12" from the finished wall to the bolts, but the 12" rough-in is not measured from the finished wall but from the unfinished wall. The toilets were roughed in at about 12 3/4" which explains why the toilet tank is 1 1/2" from the wall instead of 3/4" from the wall. It is also why I don't have the required minimum clearance in front of the toilet. The toilet should be 3/4" closer to the wall.

Natalie

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The finished wall is the painted suface, wall paper tile surface or, whatever!
Rough in is measured from the surface of the finished wall to the center line of the flange!

toiletroughin.jpg

Baseboard is not the finished wall surface!
Studs are not the finished wall surface!
The bolts if installed centered on the flange may indicate the flange centerline.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have that wrong...all of the toilets specs are measured from the finished wall (not including the baseboard). To account for typical drywall, a plumber may center it 12-1/2" or so from the bare studs. All of the diagrams I've seen state finished wall to mounting bolts, not the unfinished wall. The reason for that is there is no way to know what is going to be placed on the wall to finish it. It could just be drywall (nominally 1/2"), or it could also have wainscoating made of wood or tile, and that could be up to an inch or more thick. Thus, if it was from the unfinished wall, the toilet wouldn't fit many times. If your bolts are 12" from the finished wall, it IS correct. The fact that the toilet sits further out from the wall than their specification sheet is merely a statement to the quality control of Kohler.

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
How does the plumber know what the finished wall is going to be? for example, whether it will be tile or just sheet rock or something more?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
He needs to see plans and discuss what is being done ahead of time. He also needs to be able to work around framing, HVAC ducts, electrical and whatever else may be in his way.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And if the plumber were to get the toilet first, assemble it, find that the dimensions are "Wack" so decides to change the rough-in to some non-standard size, and the homeowner changes at the last minute to something that is built like the spec sheet, then what?
It's way better long term for the plumber to just rough in at the standard 12" from the finished wall.
That way, you will always be covered in the future.

"Wack" is the standard plumbing term for "What the heck?"

gene_2007

Reaction score
Toilet tank - distance from wall

I'm glad I read this thread. I recently gutted my bathroom for a total renovation. The old walls had two layers of sheetrock on them, but I'll only be using one layer. The toilet tank used to sit right up against the finished wall. I was wondering if I was going to have to move the toilet drain back a 1/2 inch. After reading this post, I guess that was a silly concern.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Thanks. I will wait for the inspector.
(The toilet I have has a round front -- and it only 26 3/4" -- one of the smallest I could find. There was one shorter but it was wider.
I read the rough-in information for the Kohler toilet I have and if roughed in at 12", the tank should be 3/4" from the wall. It appears the plumber roughed it in at 13" which is causing my problems.)
Natalie

Natalie,
The Kohler San Raphael, which I just put in a few months ago, is 25 & 7/8" long, almost an inch shorter. It's model #3467 with the Engenium flush system which has been miraculously effecient so far.

You may be able to put in an offset flange, backwards, if needed, but they can be problematic in certain situations.

HE

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Distance from the finished wall is totally subjective - there is no standard except to say that the tank should not be stressed by pressing against the wall. Any gap will work. Some people like a big enough one so that they can repaint without pulling the toilet! An inch or so is good for air circulation in case it is used lots and gets cold enough to condense. You don't want it growing mold behind from the condensation dampness. Note, that only is likely if the toilet is regularly used quite frequently to get the water and the tank cold enough to condense on a regular basis.

svcalypso

Reaction score
If the plumber roughed you in at 13" was this different to the specs that he was provided with? One of the benefots of hiring a pro is that they are licensed and are supposed to be up to speed on regulations, code etc. Now if you told him to rough at 13" that's another matter.

Ryan Slater

Reaction score
Interesting question. No, there is no standard distance a toilet tank should set out from the wall. There are standard rough in distances, the most common is 12" with a few at 10" and a few at 14", but the actually distance the tank will be from the wall will vary. Yours is quite normal. It is possible that you have a 14" rough-in with a 12" toilet, so replacing the toilet with a 14" toilet would move the tank closer as well as moving the flange. Either option would be costly and totally unnecessary.

Ok so no "standard distance" but in your opinion how far away from the wall is to far if you have opened up the floor and are replacing the flange and drains? The guy who set the new flange on ours set it so the back of the lid is 3.5" on 1 side and 3.25" on the other. Not only can you hang a towel behind the toilet its not square to the room. Yes the new toilet was on site prior to work being started so there was something to reference. I would hope there would be a standard for this. Every toilet I have ever seen is no more than 1" from wall to lid and the majority are much closer.

Attachments

• 16056679097061760308486477787762.jpg
    16056679097061760308486477787762.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 175
  • 1605668122140819485180895635556.jpg
    1605668122140819485180895635556.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 179

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the 80's builders started putting more detail on walls, including in the bathrooms. Tanks that used to set close to the wall became unusable when things like wainscoating were added in the rooms. As plumbers we started to move out rough-ins a little further out from the wall to allow for that. And then manufacturers started doing the same, moving the tanks further from the wall. Sometimes this meant for a pretty big gap is the wall was unadorned and the new toilet had a bigger set back.

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok so no "standard distance" but in your opinion how far away from the wall is to far if you have opened up the floor and are replacing the flange and drains?
As Terry said in #31, it is normally best to have the flange a standard distance from the wall.

How far are the middles of your closet bolts to the wall (not baseboard)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks