Distance between pressure tank and pressure switch

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by JAF, Oct 4, 2011.

1. JAF

JAF New Member

Hi,

I'm getting ready to finish my basement and I need to relocate my pressure tank because of the space it takes up and the fact there is no floor drain on that side of the basement. I have cold room that is separated from the main basement with a cinder block wall. I'd like to move the pressure tank in there and there is a floor drain only few feet away. My well line enters the house, goes about 18" via a 1" ploy line to a fitting that houses my pressure switch and gage, then goes another 6" via a gray PVC lie to a galv. tee which connects the main supply line and the pressure tank. What I would like to do is extend that line coming off the tee to the pressure tank though the cinder block wall about 6' away to the new location of the tank. That would mean a distance of around 7' between the tank and switch. I know the two are suppose to be kept close together but that would mean running two lines though the wall. Anything wrong with that distance?

Thanks!
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Where is the pump? Any reason why you cannot move the switch along with the tank?
  3. JAF

JAF New Member

Not really sure how far the pump is away. The head is about 30' away from the house, not sure how deep. I'm thinking it's less than 30' down.

The big reason for not wanting to move the switch is running two lines though the wall plus extending all the electrical.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

So, the pump is down the well then. It is best to have the switch, valves, and tank all in the same place for servicing and troubleshooting. Why not just run the drain line through the wall? How old is the tank? To save space you could put in a smaller tank and a Cycle Stop Valve for constant pressure.
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

move the switch to the tank or run 1/4" nylon or pex line to the switch disconnected from the water stream where it is now.
  6. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

The pressure switch needs to be near the tank! If you need to conserve space consider installing a Pside-Kick which includes everything and it is small.
  7. JAF

JAF New Member

Maybe a picture would help. I'd like to drill one hole and run one pipe into in the wall to the right. Keeping the tank on the existing tee and just extending it's distance. Now the tank is 1 foot away from the tee and 18" from the switch. If I relocate it, it would be 5 feet from the tee and 5'-6" away from the switch. Will that distance be too much? And what would be the downside?

The well was originally installed to feed the whole house. Two years after they come though with city water. So now, the city water supplies the house and the well is just for the outdoor spigots and a backup in case there is a problem with main water.

IMG-20111006-00002R.jpg