Dissimilar Metals and Type 304 SS Corrugated Connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

Ed223

Reaction score
A technical question for you…….

The 304 SS corrugated connectors on the attached specification sheet state “Will not corrode or rust” and “No dielectric union required”.

What prevents corrosion if the hose is connected to copper and/or brass fittings?

Attachments

• SWC1-Water-Heater-Softener-Boiler.pdf
    213.5 KB · Views: 85

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't know the answer and looked up a couple sources. I also sent an email to the manufacture to see what their response is.

From my reading.. copper and stainless steel should not have direct contact in a water system. I thought the entire flex was stainless so we just went down into the shop and tested the nut on the end of one of our stainless flexes.. They're made of brass which is the part that makes direct contact to the pipe end. The rubber washer isolates the stainless flex part from contact. So that makes them safe for connection to copper, brass and steel commonly used to stub out of water heaters and the piping from the wall.

Below is their response:

Stainless Steel & Brass are Neutral :

When it comes to stainless steel (301, 304 and 310) and brass, they are only two metals apart, which means they can be safely connected together with minimal risk of galvanic corrosion.

Falcon Stainless, Inc.....Where Quality Flows in Your Direction
The Original.... Since 1981
43153 Business Park Dr.
Temecula, CA 92590
800-814-8444 / 818-767-3569
Fax 818-768-8533
www.falconstainless.com

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
SS isn't a ferrous metal. My understanding has always been that you would need a ferrous and non ferrous metal to touch to create galvanic corrosion.

That said 304 is more ferrous than 316. In some ultra sensitive situations you would need to step up to 316 stainless. Most situations won't call for this and 316 is more expensive.

If it isn't magnetic than you shouldn't get galvanic corrosion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks