Dishwasher connection hose

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ddagsyn, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ddagsyn

ddagsyn New Member

hi
    I need to have my dishwasher replaced and have started shop for one. My shutoff valve is a 3/8 " OD flare. how difficult is it to find a dishwasher stainless steel hose to fit a flare. Is it something easy to find at lowes or home depot or do i have to get it at a plumbing store.
    Any help with information such as links etc is much appreciated.
    Thanks
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Just replace the shutoff to match the connector.

Most people use a 3/8" compression
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

The do not make a dishwasher connector with a flare end, or if they do you will not find one other than as a special order. Change the valve.
  4. ddagsyn

ddagsyn New Member

Thanks
    I guess that is one of the better options which is changing the shutoff valve. What if i go with a flare to compressrion connector adapter?
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The more adapters/fittings, the more chances for a leak. An old shutoff valve may no longer really shut things off, washers degrade, handles start to stick, and scale buildup makes them ripe for replacement. Do yourself a favor and replace the shutoff...much more reliable. Depending on how it is attached to the pipe, it could be a 5-minute affair with most of that in turning off the main, then going back down to turn it back on. Even if it is soldered on, it's not that big a deal to replace. If it is threaded on or is already a compression valve, it's even easier.