Disgusting kitchen sink drastically needs help

Users who are viewing this thread

cloudsinpastels

Reaction score
unnamed.jpg

First, a quick background:

That hideous creature above is the unfortunate consequence of me neglecting it severely for far too long. At some point of time in 2013 a shot glass accidentally slipped into the disposal, and I didn't know. I scooped the shards out with my hands fairly easily. At least it wasn't crystal; those shards would have sliced and diced me. The whole event ended with the disposal seemingly broken, of course.

I mean, it 's jammed before, but always a Google search or two was enough to get it going, via breaker switch and the reset button on the bottom. It looked like I was going to have to disassemble it in order to be able to get it running again. but I've never done anything like that before and I didn't want my landlord coming in and charging for the inflated price of a new since I tampered with it myself. Prior to that photo, the sink was nearly filled to the brim with opaque and jet black standing water, that was marbled with veins and beads of oil. It also smells TERRIBLE.

I think enough soap and hot water and elbow grease would be enough to get the sink itself clean, but if you'll notice in that picture, there's a thick black mass peeking out from just under the plunger. That runs down the drain into its dirty, infected depths. At that point I didn't want to touch the plunger, because I had already removed my gloves. You should have seen it, :D I had a respirator and goggles strapped around my head and everything.

Okay, so that's where my story stands. What I want to do right now is try to kill as possible much crap that I can't see. Every effective drain cleaner I've ever used wasn't supposed to be using on sinks with disposals.

BUT I do have PBW here, and the label says: "Because of its unique formulation of buffers and mild alkalis, it is safe on skin as well as soft metals such as stainless steel, aluminum, and plastics."

It doesn't mention anything about disposals, so I'm not sure. I'd just like to disinfect as much of the drain interior as I can.

TLDR; can I use PBW to disinfect kitchen sinks with disposals?

cloudsinpastels

Reaction score
Oh, and that mass toward the top is particularly troublesome. I almost need a razor blade to separate it the surface.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was thinking about having lunch.I like the natural drain cleaners. Bio-Clean is one that I use.you may need to remove the disposer and turned upside down to get all that junk out of it

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If I were there, I would "play it by ear" to take care of it, but I do not know what to tell you as far as DIYing it. When it happened, it would probably have taken about 2 minutes to fix it. By now, however the grinder plate could be corroded to the walls and if so, the disposer is toast and will have to be replaced.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
at whites plumbing we offer quality products you may be interested in using for your sink replacement. Our prices are competitive and we offer free shipping across the united states. The link below will direct you to our online store in the sink section so you could browse through some of the products we offer.
http://whitesplumbingsupplies.com/store/kitchen/kitchen-sinks.html

you missed the part where the poster said "landlord" as it is not their property !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks