DHW tank above all fixtures very little hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

afrye707

Reaction score
I have a single bath in my shop and the plumber put the DHW tank in a little room above the shower (above all other fixtures in the bath). The tank is a lowboy 30 gallon tank. With one shower the water is cold within a couple minutes. I asked the plumber he said he can install a 2nd tank. I think my hot water is migrating out of my DHW tank or cold water is migrating into the tank. Any thought or direction would be great a 30 gallon tank should last for a 10 min shower my shower head is rated at 1.75 gpm

Reach4

Reaction score
Have you checked that the cold is going into the correct side?

I know it is unlikely, but it is easier to check that than to check if the dip tube failed. Dip tubes can be melted during soldering during install.

Last edited:

afrye707

Reaction score
Have you checked that the cold is going into the correct side?

I know it is unlikely, but it is easier to check that than to check if the dip tube failed. Dip tubes can be melted during soldering during install.
I have check the make sure

afrye707

Reaction score
I have checked to make sure the cold in on the cold and hot is on the hot

afrye707

Reaction score
The "plumber" just had pex lines going to the tank no valves nothing. I installed a ball valve on the cold side with a swing check valve. No vacuum relief valve was installed.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have an expansion tank after
Is it after the check valve? The purpose of the expansion tank is if the water warms -- primarily from the water heater, the expanded water has a place to go. In older houses with city water it would go out the supply line. In installations with a check valve at the water meter or with a pressure regulating valve, the water cannot expanding into the supply line. So an expansion tank is needed. If you add a non-leaky check valve between the water heater and the expansion tank, the heated water can not expand into the expansion tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks