Well Water - Acid Neutralization + Softening (whole home remodel)

Users who are viewing this thread

remodelingmomma

Reaction score
We are in the middle of a whole home remodel and need to make a decision on water filtration. We are on a private well. We had the water tested twice (1st time sent to a lab, 2nd time local plumber). The house is 3,800 sq ft with 4 bathrooms & will have 6 people living there. All 4 bathrooms were remodeled so our goals are to 1) protect the new and original plumbing & fixtures, 2) safe drinking water. Stats:

pH: 6.5 (lab) / 6.0 (plumber)
Hardness: 16.1 mg/L (lab) / ~ 2.0 grains (plumber)
Well Flow Rate: a bit more than 11 gallons/min

Plumber & water treatment company recommended an acid neutralizer to raise the pH. They said this will increase the hardness and recommended adding a softener as well. I've been looking at the Fleck acid neutralizers that backwash. There are a lot of model choices.

An online company recommended a soda ash system, which will reportedly neutralize the pH without raising the hardness. However the information online I've found about the efficacy of soda ash is all over the place so I'm confused.

I was looking at the Fleck 5800SXT Backwashing valve + 2.5 cu ft tank +Fleck 5600SXT Meter water softener (48,000 grain capacity). Thoughts? Are these overkill?

I would appreciate any specific model recommendations based on our stats and needs. As well as any additional feedback!
Thank you!

Reach4

Reaction score
With pH 6.5 and less than one grain of hardness (1 grain is 17.1 mg/l) I would not neutralize. I would not soften....

Opt for plastic pipe and fittings rather than metal.

If you did feel a need to raise the pH, soda ash injection will not not raise the hardness.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks