Design of Water Pump and Pressure Thank?

Users who are viewing this thread

watrax

Reaction score
what is the formula in designing a water pump for residential building? water pumped from a certain water level up to the elevated water tank? what is also the formula in designing pressure tanks? what reference book would you recommend where design of water system is residential building where water pump and pressure tanks could be seen? thank so much....

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Pumps and tanks have already been designed, I think you want to design a system for your house right?

If so then tell us about the well depth, diameter, static water level (how far down from the surface of the yard to the water in the well).

Then any elevation from the well to the house up or down, the distance from the well to the house, and then the height up to the highest fixture in the house. How many bathrooms and any large tubs or showers with body sprays etc..

And then someone can tell you what pump and tank you need.

watrax

Reaction score
yep. you're right there. what i want to know is the required horsepower of the pump for a given height of water level up to the level of pump then up to the elevated water tank (downfeed system). and what kind of pump should be used centrifugal or jet jump? thanks. i also want to know how to get the required horsepower for booster pump for a given height..... what reference manual could you recommend where i can see how to design a water system with water pumps and pressure tanks?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
what reference manual could you recommend where i can see how to design a water system with water pumps and pressure tanks?

That is something pump professionals study for many years, and still may not understand every aspect of the system. Here is a link that will kind of get you started but, even this article and web page are not entirely accurate or complete.

http://www.watersystemscouncil.org/VAiWebDocs/WSCDocs/9884303Sizing_a_Pressure_Tank_FINAL.pdf

For every 2.31' of lift you need 1 PSI of pressure. Then you must figure a flow rate so you can add in the friction losses for the pipe and fittings. Then you add the pressure that is required at the house.

Why do you have and elevated tank, pressure tank, and a booster pump? Looks like quite a bit of redundancy to me. The best thing to do is lay out the system here as best as you can explain it, and let some of us help keep you out of trouble.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
yep. you're right there. what i want to know is the required horsepower of the pump for a given height of water level up to the level of pump then up to the elevated water tank (downfeed system). and what kind of pump should be used centrifugal or jet jump? thanks. i also want to know how to get the required horsepower for booster pump for a given height..... what reference manual could you recommend where i can see how to design a water system with water pumps and pressure tanks?
You need to know a lot of other things, such as I already asked you for, like peak demand flow rate of the house, before you get to hp. HP is the last thing you find after inputting all other info. That's because pumps come in two parts, gpm and hp, and they vary widely. Submersible pumps are always a better choice than any jet pump, single line or two line.

So describe you situation beginning at the depth of the well to the highest fixture in the house.

Here is a link about all types of pumps and sizing etc. for irrigation but, it all is the same for a house. It won't tell you what size or type, just the concept and how everything works together.
http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/pump.htm

watrax

Reaction score
lets take this as an example. water level below the ground is 3m depth (Suction head is 3m) then i want to deliver the water to the water tank located at roof deck of 5 storey building (assuming Height of the building is 15m). i wanna know how to compute the required power the pump to lift the water to the water tank?

considering the above scenario. suppose the water pressure at the last floor is not suffecient. what should i introduce to attain the suffecient pressure at the last floor? pneumatic pressure tank or booster tank? does these two goes together?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks