Deepen old well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee369

Reaction score
Can an old well be deepened? Well in question is a bored well, 32" concrete curbings, about 60' deep ,2 pipe jet pump. Only has about 5' of water in it and just does not supply the volume we need.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You would be better off to forget the old bored well and have a new drilled well installed or a gravel pack depending on what type of deep well is installed in your area.

Lee369

Reaction score
You would be better off to forget the old bored well and have a new drilled well installed or a gravel pack depending on what type of deep well is installed in your area.

Thank you sir, I am thinking the same.

Lee369

Reaction score
Can you explain "gravel pack" and how it would apply to an old well like mine?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
A bored well is generally considered a shallow well not over 100 foot deep. A bored well is only in soil so if you hit bed rock you cannot go any deeper.

In areas where bed rock is fairly shallow a hole is drilled down through the soil to they hit bed rock. A casing is set from the surface and is pressed into the surface of the bed rock. Then a smaller bit is lowered down through the casing and a hole is drilled into the bed rock. The drinking water comes from the bed rock not from the soil area above the rock. Usually there is no casing or screen below the surface of the bed rock, just a hole in the rock.

In areas where the bed rock is very deep such as the coastal plane in eastern NC to install a deep well it is called a gravel pack. The driller may drill down through soil or very soft loose rock and never hit bed rock. In that case the bottom section will be a screened pipe and up near the top will be a solid pipe/casing. With this type of well the annular space on the outside of the screen is filled in with very course sand. The top 20 feet or more of the annular space where the pipe is solid/not screened is grouted with concrete. This type of well is referred to as a gravel pack because of the course sand. I always thought it should be called a sand pack but it is called a gravel pack.

Depending on where in the world you are located will determine on what type of well you would need or is best for your area. Find out what your neighbors have. Talk to drillers in your area etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks