Cut off too high

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by FranktownTim, Jun 26, 2007.

1. FranktownTim

FranktownTim New Member

My pump starts when the gauge on the pressure tank reads 40lbs. The pump starts and then cuts off at 80lbs. I've read on this and other forums that 70lbs is the maximum recommended. What problems can be encountered with a pressure above 70lbs? Should I adjust the the pressure switch down? If yes, should the cut in pressure be lowered too (like 30/70)?

I hope this isn't a dumb question.
  2. Rancher

Rancher Guest

There are no dumb questions on this forum, only dumb answers. If you have a typical "square" D pressure switch both the range and gap are adustable, to keep the start pressure at 40 and lower the stop pressure, adjust the lower nut that is off center in the switch, I think counterclockwise will lower the gap (I may not be using the correct terms here but I just dreamed them up).

Rancher
  3. FranktownTim

FranktownTim New Member

Thanks for the advice. Adjusted to 40/60