Corroded cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

chipy

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm in Chicago, and this is a georgian style home with an extension. A few days ago the hub of drain i epoxied broke off (master bath, part of the extension). As you can imagine, it smelled like a sewer here until temporary remediation. Actually, it always kind of smells like a sewer here... s valves dry up all the time.

There is extreme corrosion and i believe it is because of sewer gas and the line being seldom used. It's mostly cheese now at each end of the horizontal pipe. Also, the top hub of the connecting tee (with right side inlet) has cracked. Through the wall, the master bath extension goes straight up.

Had a few quotes from 525 and up to 650; more if they have to dig through the wall to repair the double l style coupling on the left (not likely).

Most want to remove the highlighted red part (photo below), tee included, and leave the complex iron casting above it (what is this called?).

There's a lot of improper work here and i would like to get this right for once, at least part way so that i can finish later.

I have labeled the photo to the best of my ability. Red being what to remove.

What should i do with the tee? Should i simply replace this design with plastic (tee and all), or should i do a wye to the master and another wye on top of it to the kitchen, or should i use some kind of double wye? Any recommendations?

I would prefer ABS. As far as my research takes me, it is a superior material; especially in terms of chemical resistance and health/environment (no chlorine to release in a fire, no BPA to leach into the environment (PVC)). Thoughts?

The photo can be found in this folder (current.jpg): www.googledrive.com/host/0Bze0jIhHLC6lflV4R0FLdlo3Z1o1LWluR044eVZ4SDJjdHhUWXZwX2lTY1RiWU9qamd4U0U

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Your picture link does not work.

If you have a plumber, he will want to use the one that is legal, and happens to be stronger.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The vent from your washer being disconnected isn't helping matters.
Those go through the roof.

In old homes over time, the cast does rust away. At some point, you will need to look at that. Like maybe today.
Where I live, we do this by tearing down the home and starting over.
I'm sure it will be less money to replace only the pipes there. Whatever you do there, keep it to code.
The plumbers should know what that is in Chicago.

chipy

Reaction score
I would like to add this stack was built in the 80s, and cast iron should last at least 50 years from my understanding. Something seems to be accelerating this. This house and extension was built to code, and inspected, and we had a licensed plumber servicing over the years. However, it has been apparent that is no guarantee of quality.

Minimal time and budget right now, so it's either DIY or the minimal amount of professional repair. I have the tools and skill, but need some advice on optimal design. I'm thinking to bring the 3 inch copper kitchen sink pipe towards the wall, and using a double wye or 2 wyes on top of each other (4x4x4 and 4x4x3) instead of the tee. Otherwise, stick with the tee and slope into it; not really happy about any 90s..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks