Correct use of a double wye

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Garrod

Mike G
Reaction score
does anyone use double wyes to plumb a typical bathroom group? I have seen them used 3" center ports w/ 2" side outlets, toilet obviously on the 3", and one port directly to shower and other port to lav with the lav wet venting all the toilet and shower. My question is, is it allowable to use a straight 3" double wye and bush down the center port and one of the side ports and use the other side port for the toilet? Or does the toilet HAVE to be using the center port?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The toilet can be on a side port in most codes. The bowl is designed to siphon, so treating it like it needs a santee on the vertical is not needed.
The lav and the shower do need to be installed to "prevent" siphoning.

Mike Garrod

Mike G
Reaction score
So would this layout work?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 760

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the shower is vertical before the trap arm, you will need a vent there. Venting comes off the top of the trap arm, not below.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With the first one, I would not do a double wye, but have the wye downstream. Entering downstream is always better with toilets.
I prefer single wyes in groundworks anyway so that I can give them that slight tilt on the fitting. It's impossible IMO to not tilt the wrong way on one side of a double wye laid in the ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks