Corner bead on tile to drywall transition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sting88

Reaction score
I have an alcove tub surround. On the 90 degree outside edge where the tiled surface will meet the painted surface, how do I treat the joining of the drywall boards... someone told me corner bead will flare out the tile so don't use it... what would I use?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
"J" channel on the drywall. It looks like a square bottomed J, and slips over the end of the drywall. Tape and mud around it to the cbu. If you are using a bullnose or quarter-round tile, you'll have a nice flat, square edge.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Depends on who you ask. I found this discussion on a drywall forum and the replies are pretty basic. I do not think a corner bead builds up the outside corner too much unless you are planning on using Mastic to set the shower tile. Since I think Mastic is a total crap product it's a non issue for me and my builds.

A nice tile to drywall corner detail involves using a J-Bead. Then bringing the tile flush with it.

I have shared my framing secrets and my detailed approach for this outside corner detail here:

Tile to Drywall: A Nicer Looking Outside Corner

Nicer%2Blooking%2Btile%2Bto%2Bdrywall%2Btransition.jpg

Here you can see a close up of my buddies daughters shower wall that meets the outside corner. See how the J Bead is painted and the tile meets it close enough for a silicone bead. In this photo we have not grouted nor applied the silicone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks