Copper pipe turned purple on the outside, green inside

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiton

Reaction score
My sister called asking for help with a small leak in her main city water supply pipe.
She had a pinhole leak in a 3/4 copper on the horizontal run a few feet from the entry point.

That section of pipe has purple batches all over the pipe and when we cut the section out, the inside is coated with a green layer.

Most of the plumbing is concealed, but the copper that pokes through the dry wall at the kitchen sink and in the utility room where the washer is does not show any purple batches.

Any idea what would cause this?
Is this a sign of a bigger issue?

Attachments

• Sherry main 3-4 water pipe 4422.jpg
    Sherry main 3-4 water pipe 4422.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 620
  • Sherry main 3-4 water pipe 4424.jpg
    Sherry main 3-4 water pipe 4424.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,887

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The green on the inside is from oxygen in the water. The oxygen forms an oxidized layer that is referred to as patina. The patina layer protects the pipe on the inside. As far as the purple color I'm not really sure but my guess is the pipes have been exposed to some type of chemical or fumes such as ammonia. The purple blotches may have formed in areas where the pipe had been touched with sweaty hands and then exposed to ammonia fumes. The copper could have been exposed to vinegar that might get similar results.

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Heat can also turn copper various colors. The inside green/blue stuff is entirely normal, any copper pipe that
has been in service more than a few days will have it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks