Constantly clogging kitchen/laundry sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

aphit

Reaction score
Hey, new here. I'm pretty much clueless about plumbing but I need help. I've been renting a basement unit for 3 years and have needed my kitchen and laundry sink line professionally snaked 3 times in the past year and a half due to it clogging solid. I've been using hair traps, mesh screens, and panyhose to catch lint, but it's clogged solid once again today. My landlords insist that it's something I'm doing, so this is creating a lot of tension with the rental situation. I want to know if there's something I can do myself to take care of it and prevent it from happening again. Thanks.

Little bit more info: I've tried boiling water and plunging. It's a 1960's house. I think the plumbing is a bit of a mess. No floor drain. Pretty sure it was snaked through a vent on the roof.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Consider that the upstairs unit(s) are feeding those same drain lines from above I presume.

Is the clogging actually in a pipe under the floor?

aphit

Reaction score
Consider that the upstairs unit(s) are feeding those same drain lines from above I presume.

Is the clogging actually in a pipe under the floor?

I believe the kitchen sink upstairs is backing up into my laundry sink. Smelled really bad this morning.

And I guess so. I don't think it's anywhere near the sinks.

Last edited:

aphit

Reaction score
Noticed you're renting. Have you called the landloard/owner about the problem?

Yes of course. They arranged and paid for the other 3 and are (understandably) getting annoyed that this is a reoccurring problem... but are not really working with us to figure out why it keeps happening. They insist we're putting things down the drain we shouldn't be. I'll purchase some better lint screens and sink strainer baskets, but I don't really know what else I can do/suggest to my landlords. I think we're going to try renting a snake from Home Depot tomorrow.

Wondering

Reaction score
Read this just a while back. It said to use Tide Laundry Detergent Powder (Original) and it would unclog drain lines? This was from some lady that had tried it and she said it worked when everything else failed-someone else told her. It would be worth a try. I have no idea if it works but anything is worth a shot. Google clogged drains and see if it shows up about the Tide. I think it said mix a cup full in a sink of water then drain water and let the drain sit a while before using. If you find it on Google it will tell you how she did it. If you try it and it works let us know.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I tend to believe that this is not just your problem.

I'm a landlord, and I know that it's within my responsibilities to provide a tenant with a properly functioning drain system - unless the tenant is causing the stoppages.

If your landlord gets annoyed, too bad. Tell him to fix the problem above you, or continue to provide you with drain cleaning service every 3-4 months. If he/she ignores you, move out. If you do and the landlord withholds your deposit - go to court, and you will win.

Reach4

Reaction score
Renting a snake? You are unusually motivated. Stay off of the roof for safety. Powered snakes are dangerous to the untrained, even on the ground. However inside I expect you will have a hard time locating a place to snake into productively.

Describe the setup. Is it a 1.5 inch copper pipe coming down behind your laundry tub from above, which then joins your pipes into the basement floor?

I have used a BrassCraft Drain Bladder for a drain pipe that served an unfinished basement washing machine, laundry sink, and a kitchen sink above. To get good access, I cut a 10 inch section out of the copper down pipe about 5 feet above the basement floor. I fed the bladder on a garden hose down as far as I could, which I think got it down to basement floor level or below. That put it below the entry from the laundry sink and washer. Those things blow a small jet of water forward after they expand. The device sets up a vibration which I presume is part of its After opening the path, I closed the drain pipe opening with the sawn-out piece of pipe and a pair of Fernco couplings. The bladder was effective. I did it a second time a few years later.
700153642_260.jpg

Perhaps a more sophisticated mod could be made to your plumbing to make rodding or jetting easier and more effective.

aphit

Reaction score
After a couple of hours leaving it alone, we realized it wasn't completely clogged, but draining very, very slowly... almost at a trickle.

We went out to Home Depot and picked up a 25 foot snake, which either was going up to the kitchen sink (husband said he didn't hear it, but who knows) or just couldn't reach the clog. As per the advice of the Home Depot guy we then tried sodium hydroxide crystals, which worked like magic. Today the drain is running better than it ever has. As much as I hate dumping chemicals down there, I can't believe the $3 of lye worked better than anything else.

Thankfully we didn't need to rent the big snake!

Sorry for the dramatic thread. I will be back if it keeps happening. :)

aphit

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks