Condo, under counter WH, replace prior to 4/2015?

Users who are viewing this thread

ChrisMc

Reaction score
Hi there.

I understand new water heater energy regulations go into effect in April 2015. Been doing some studying, measuring, and am looking for some perspective...

I live in a 145-unit condo complex. Our water heaters are lowboys, installed underneath a corner kitchen countertop. It's a pain to access, requiring you first pull out the stove.

Recently one of the Board members had their water heater replaced (due to leaking), and then suggested if ours were old, we might want to go ahead and replace, as the new units might not fit.

After doing some research on the changes (increased insulation surrounds - 2"?, possible 1-2" height increase), I gather a smaller capacity may be the only option vs. moving it. I don't have a garage, so the only option I see is to move it to the utility room on the other side of the wall (along with the fact there's no room, and forcing me into a stacked laundry pair). I know a resident who tried a tankless system but it failed 2x and they went back to the traditional tank.

Cutting to the chase... should I replace now, or not worry and settle for a smaller capacity in the future? It's just me. But a smaller capacity would be a negative for a family if I sold the place. My current water heater is 11 years old, a lowboy Bradford White M250S6DS. I check on it monthly as I want to avoid walking out to a flood (they didn't put pans underneath, and there's no drain other than a tube running behind the cabinets connecting to the sink plumbing).

Also, any suggestions on other brands, and why?

Appreciate your perspective and thanks for this forum...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In a kitchen, I would replace every ten years. Why take a chance.
Many of the condo associations around here require replacement at ten years.
Insurance claims on something that never should have happened doesn't make sense. And yes, with the new requirements, I would change it while you can. The new larger sizes going going to creat havoc. Tankless doesn't work with electric unless you do a major panel upgrade. Something that may not even be possible in your situation.

Last edited:

ChrisMc

Reaction score
In a kitchen, I would replace every ten years. Why take a chance.
Many of the condo associations around here require replacement at ten years.
Insurance claims on something that should never have happened doesn't make sense. And yes, with the new requirements, I would change while you can. The new larger sizes going going to creat havic. Tankless doesn't work with electric unless you do a major panel upgrade. Something that may not even be possible in your situation.
Appreciate the feedback Terry!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks