Cleaning blocked exterior drain line...

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by Majus, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Majus

Majus New Member

...which is clogged with a clay-based mud.

I don't know how far the blockage extends, but the potential distance could be around 150 feet. The pipe is the 4-inch flexible black corrugated type. I do know it would be unwise to have it snaked.

The cost to replace all of the drain (around 160 feet, with one 135 foot tee emptying at the street) is quite high so I need a simpler, less costly solution. Anyone have any suggestions, perhaps a chemical technique?

I should add I don't mind hiring a pro to do the job, but I need to get the cost down.
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

You could look for somebody local who does jet rodding. Or you could use something like Clog Hog on your pressure washer. I expect the jetting should start from the street side of your pipe.
  3. Majus

Majus New Member

The street side is the down leg of the T. The pipe which forms the top of the T is where all the mud is. I think the down leg is pretty much clear, anyway.
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

What I should have said is that the process sends considerable water back away from the clog. So it is generally better to approach from the unclogged side if that is feasible.

Forget chemicals for this.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you try to jet from the upstream side, all you will do is roil up the mud because it will not have anywhere to go. You jet from the downstream side so the dislodged mud will flow out with the water. All a snake would do is drill into the mud and get stuck, then need a winch to pull it out.