City Water Uphill

Users who are viewing this thread

lemahoney08

Reaction score
Is there a float switch that would work well to open the valve to fill, but also shut down the pump if tank becomes empty? What is the best way to accomplish these two tasks?

lemahoney08

Reaction score
It wouldn't need to be a pump switch, but more of a valve to close the city water supply line off.

Is the cycle sensor an easy add on at a later time once I see how much water I use from the tank? Any additional wire requirements for it or does it just mount with the pressure switch using existing wires?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The float switch controls the electric valve. You just run a 24V plug in transformer through the float switch and to the electric valve. Like this one http://irritrol.com/valves_205.aspx

The Cycle Sensor just goes on the two wires after the breaker. It doesn't need to be close to the pressure switch, pump, or other controls.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can run the float switch/solenoid valve on 12-2 or 3, but you don't need that large of wire. 18-3 would be big enough, but 12 won't hurt anything. Here is a drawing that shows how a float switch/solenoid/plug in transformer is wired.
LOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A.jpg

lemahoney08

Reaction score
What I meant was can the pump and float be on the same circuit (220v 12/3 with ground) or does the float need its own dedicated wire?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The solenoid/float switch only needs 24 volts. You can take off the power wires to the pump with a 220 to 24 volt transformer and go to the float switch if you need.

Reach4

Reaction score
The Cycle Sensor, if used, should not have transformer fed by its output. While the same breaker could handle both, the Cycle Sensor output should only feed a 2-wire pump or the control box if you have a 3-wire pump.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The solenoid/float switch only needs 24 volts. You can take off the power wires to the pump with a 220 to 24 volt transformer and go to the float switch if you need.

Funny, but I use that valve, a Genie 1" sprinkler valve and about 200 feet of 14-2 wire to the same float switch you linked to Graingers. But I use all those cheap transformers that pile up from electronic devices - chargers, what have you, and most are 9 to 14v, but have run that float for 30 years. Those 24 volt valves will open on 8 volts. Also you linked a normally open valve, I think he needs a normally closed one. "pump up" ... and you can find that guy for 45$ if you shop around. He does not need anything on the incoming city water except that 24v valve. I would drop a submersible into the tank and then use a square D low pressure cut off switch for the output up the hill. Why worry about the tank going dry? City looses water pressure? Are you in Iraq?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Funny, but I use that valve, a Genie 1" sprinkler valve and about 200 feet of 14-2 wire to the same float switch you linked to Graingers. But I use all those cheap transformers that pile up from electronic devices - chargers, what have you, and most are 9 to 14v, but have run that float for 30 years. Those 24 volt valves will open on 8 volts. Also you linked a normally open valve, I think he needs a normally closed one. "pump up" ... and you can find that guy for 45$ if you shop around. He does not need anything on the incoming city water except that 24v valve. I would drop a submersible into the tank and then use a square D low pressure cut off switch for the output up the hill. Why worry about the tank going dry? City looses water pressure? Are you in Iraq?

I can't see where it says anything about normally open. But you can get them both ways and you are right that the valve needs to be normally closed. And you may not think the tank will be pumped dry, but if you don't plan for it, that is the one thing that will happen. Murphy's law :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks