Choosing Lake Cabin Toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

moeglein

Reaction score
My requirements are somewhat different from the norm, because the cabin is seasonal and we typically turn the water pump off when we are away. We have Caroma toilets in our primary home (thanks Terry), but I don't think we need the dual flush or anything that fancy at the cabin. We take water from the lake, which is eventually returned via the drain field of the septic system, so I'm not sure a dual flush toilet would do us any good.

Add to all of that the fact that I have a rather large colon, and I'm most concerned with not having clogged toilets!

So my priorities are, somewhat in order:

1. Uncloggability
2. Ability to handle loss of water pressure for extended periods
3. A good balance between reliability and cost effectiveness (probably implies a gravity mechanism, given the cycling of the water pressure)

I mentioned Toto toilets to my plumber, but he doesn't seem familiar with them or know how to get them. He recommended the AS Cadet 3, which is relatively easy to get.

What do you guys think? Should I go with what the plumber knows (Cadet 3)or find Toto Drakes and have him put them in? Or is there a better option?

Thanks,
Mark

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you wish to research the AS Cadet 3, you need to go no further than this forum. There have been numerous discussions of American Standard in general and Cadet 3 in particular. With only an occasional positive report, there is little support of the quality of AS and/or the Cadet 3. Just because it is a seasonal use home seems a poor reason to purchase a toilet with a poor track record. I would agree that you probably don't need a dual flusher, but the Toto Drake would meet you needs and not send you the to poor house. The fact that your local plumber is not familiar with the Toto line hardly is something he should brag about. It is rather interesting that the largest toilet manufacturer in the world is still not easily available in all market areas, but they are not really difficult to locate with your fingers and a computer.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
"only an occassional positive report" my eye! Moderation from the moderators please!

Do not confuse the numerous negative posts about some models of AS toilets with an assessment about Cadet 3s. There have been numerous positive posts about Cadet 3s. Just take it out of the box and give it a quick check before you take it home.

I have had no real problems and am extremely happy with mine.

Two years plus of excellent service now. :)

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Choice of toilet may depend on what is available for waste disposal and water supply.

A modest tank can store enough water for flushing. A 50 gallon plastic barrel will provide more than 25 flushes and can be refilled with a bucket from the lake.

Composting toilets and outhouses work fine and they never plug.

moeglein

Reaction score
Re: Lake cabin toilet

I have a brand spanking new 1000 gallon septic tank, with plenty of drain field, so I don't think water use is really the issue, FWIW.

-Mark

Choice of toilet may depend on what is available for waste disposal and water supply.

A modest tank can store enough water for flushing. A 50 gallon plastic barrel will provide more than 25 flushes and can be refilled with a bucket from the lake.

Composting toilets and outhouses work fine and they never plug.

moeglein

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

So far, I see the votes tally as 1 for the Cadet 3, 1 for the Drake and 1 for a composting toilet (not in the cards).

I don't think the choice of toilet is quite as stark or dramatic as you make it sound. In fact, I have read quite a few opinions on the Cadet 3 on this forum, and *most* of them are positive, with a few saying "wait and see" or "QA is a problem." I would certainly hope that my plumber is able to inspect the product before we bring it out to the lake, and I saw mention of the fact that the normal plumbing supply chain may have a higher quality product than what you get from Home Depot. Fact is, if my plumber is familiar with the Cadet 3 (apparently with good success) and not the Drake, that should count for something, too.

OTOH, I'm more than willing to find a Drake. We have a dealer not too far away, and it isn't a big deal to load a couple of them up on a trailer...

-Mark

If you wish to research the AS Cadet 3, you need to go no further than this forum. There have been numerous discussions of American Standard in general and Cadet 3 in particular. With only an occasional positive report, there is little support of the quality of AS and/or the Cadet 3. Just because it is a seasonal use home seems a poor reason to purchase a toilet with a poor track record. I would agree that you probably don't need a dual flusher, but the Toto Drake would meet you needs and not send you the to poor house. The fact that your local plumber is not familiar with the Toto line hardly is something he should brag about. It is rather interesting that the largest toilet manufacturer in the world is still not easily available in all market areas, but they are not really difficult to locate with your fingers and a computer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't quote me, but rumor has it that the Cadet 3 is a copy of the Drake. It doesn't say much about a company if they fill the retail supply chain with seconds or questionable quality items. Some of the people liking the Cadet 3 went through 2 or more before they got a good, working one. The design is fine from what I hear, it's the execution that MAY bite you. I'd be really surprised if the plumber inspected the toilet before he threw it on the truck, and note, some of the defects were not obvious until it was installed (pin-hole leaks, or repairs at the factory).

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If extra trips are bugeted in to your project, and you aren't paying a plumber, then the Cadet 3 may be fine.

I don't like making extra unpaid trips, and worrying about ruining a floor because American Standard might have slipped a bad bowl in the box.
You better add another vote for the Toto.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I am a plumber that will not install Am. Std. toilets because of their quality control issues unless they are customer provided and no guarantee is provided by me except that I installed it properly. If it is defective I will charge again to install a second toilet.

I provide Toto toilets to my customers...
5 years now with "0" defects, and "0" callbacks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks