Check valve for open-direct radiant heating system

Users who are viewing this thread

Tazo

Reaction score
First time poster. Love the forum, its been very informative.

I installed a radiant floor heating system and it has been running flawlessly for the past 5 years except for one thing: I've been having a number of problems with main check valve; the one that forces incoming supply water to circulate through the floor tubing zones before entering the water heater/boiler. The current check valve is a 1-1/4" brass swing gate style. This is the second one. The first one was part of the kit I bought and it ultimately failed when it developed some pinhole leaks and build-up of calcium which I had to regularly clean. The second one is also having the same calcium build-up. Now, mind you, this is with post-softened water with less than 1 grain of hardness; and I know that I need to fine tune my softener system to get that lower but it is what it is, for now.

I have found several threads on this site and others that discuss these types of radiant systems and it was mentioned that a HIGH QUALITY check valve be installed in this location, I assume to prevent the issues I'm having now; and one thread that had a broken link to an exact product.

So my question is what type of check valve should I purchase and install? Brass? Stainless Steel? Swing gate? Spring loaded? Teflon seals? Etc... Also, would this quality check valve really help me with the calcium build-up over the one I currently have?

Thanks in advance.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks