Heat when not called for

Users who are viewing this thread

pbon5401

Reaction score
Merry Christmas all!

I’m a newbie and know enough to get in trouble.

I’ll try to spit this out as easily as possible. Let’s start by saying I think this system and its design kinda sucks as even when things are running right the heat isn’t very responsive. That’s fine though.

I have 3 zones, basement baseboard, main floor radiant and 2nd floor baseboard. The issue I have is the 2nd floor gets heated whether I’m calling for heat or not. Now, I have had a couple of service calls and the added a new check valve one time and the next time they added another check valve. This worked for a little bit, I can’t recall exactly for how long.

This particular zone happens to be the first in line in the flow of hot water and my guess there is another valve (spiro valve)?? That is letting it by in the first place, overwhelming the check valves and heat rises up. Im honestly out of ideas and any help is appreciated.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Take pic of boiler, piping, pumps and take some at different angles don't get to close. What are your question heat emitters fin tube, radiators. How many feet from lowest piping to top of the highest heat emitters?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like your system hasn't been properly hydraulically seperated.

FYI a hydronic system is warming every object in your home rather than warming the air. Responsiveness is only gonna be as fast as your boiler can decide the temperature. If you had an outdoor reset your boiler would preemptively run when the temp drops to keep up with the checking conditions outside. If your trying to turn the system on and off based on temp you won't get good behavior.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks