CFL Bulbs that really last for 5 Years

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Heh, we don't own a lux meter. Its not a cost thing, just that we wouldn't have had much use for it. However, if this customer calls back complaining we may end up buying one.

I bought an inexpensive one online a few years ago specifically because of my disappointment with enclosed CFL type bulbs (globes and R20/R30 replacements.) I wanted to be able to quantify and compare a few brands. More engineer toys...

I agree that some brands may have ballasts that can better handle the increased heat in an inclosed fixture, however I tried two different brands and both failed in a short time in my enclosed fixtures. My solution was to swap out the fixtures for some open ones and I have not had a lamp failure in those locations since. Maybe I should try again. What brand CFLs are you using? Since swapping out the fixtures I have discovered that you can buy CFLs made specifically for enclosed fixtures. However I'd rather not pay the price premium for those bulbs if there is something that works that I can get locally.

I'm using the EcoSmart/n:Vision/Commercial Electric (all three are the same bulb/model #, with a new name every few years) from the big orange store. They are relatively inexpensive, instant on, and have shorter dimensions than most others which makes them better for retrofits. I use a mix of 40W and 60W equivalents in bathrooms. About the only negative I've noticed is that once in awhile one will have a noisy hum that I can hear and I'll pull that bulb. But that is just a couple out of many dozens.

I also use some Sylvania micro-mini twists for tight applications like inside some ceiling fan globes. They are about 3x more expensive per bulb, but have worked well where replacing the fixture wasn't an option and I needed to pack the most possible lumens in the tightest space. They are instant on.

I didn't like the Lowe's store brand CFL's when I tried them, they weren't instant on. I've relegated the one remaining to a closet. I've got little good to say about the GE's--oversized so they don't fit well; not instant on so if you have several in a fixture it looks cheap; short lifetime for a CFL although still several times that of an incandescent.

I also haven't read much favorable about Feit CFL's so I avoid them. Often when folks are complaining about CFL's I find that they are using Feits, but I haven't used them.

I think its the short cycling that is killing them in the bathroom. The CFLs in the bathroom last for years (usually) before failing, so I'm not saying they fail right after I install them, but on the same switch I have incandescent bulbs that last just as long or longer.

Could be, but I haven't noticed any short cycling problems with the CFL's I've used so far. In fact I've noticed more problems with incandescents in that regards. Nearly all incandescent filament failures occurred when I flipped the switch on rather than later in operation. This was particularly true when the bulb was outdoors or in a cold house. With incandescents the thermal cycling seems a likely culprit. The filament is going to have a vapor pressure (however small) and will lose a little mass to be deposited on the glass each time it cycles on/off.

The one thing I did notice about the GE CFL failures was that they were usually the opposite of short cycling. When the kids were very little we left the hall bathroom lights on for them and/or their closet light at night. We were getting only a few thousand hours out of the CFL's in that service. These were the 60W equivalents as memory serves.

Reaction score
I dont leave home without a AA maglite. They waited years after the led storm to bring one out because they didnt trust them. Good men. And the 2 that I finally bought are garbage and died very early. Back to the great basic mag-lite and they go for about 3 years in my pocket.

I've converted two out of three of my AA maglite's to LED's and have been very happy. The conversion kit was about $8. I don't mess with the switch provided for the rear cap in the kit since I had read it was problematic. It's been a great upgrade for camping/etc. since I tired of replacing batteries and bulbs in the maglites. Hated having to swap those tiny bulbs in the cold at night. The maglite bulbs dim as they are failing, and that was an annoyance too. I noticed that the bulbs lasted about twice as long as the batteries, which is pretty poor. I'm pretty sure that this will pay for itself in bulbs alone...while the battery savings are much greater.

Of course, I've been using dimmable red LED's for astronomy for ~15 years. I still use the original one, bought a second one for my wife. The little 9V that powers them sometimes lasts for years.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
More engineer toys...
Nearly all incandescent filament failures occurred when I flipped the switch on rather than later in operation. This was particularly true when the bulb was outdoors or in a cold house. With incandescents the thermal cycling seems a likely culprit. The filament is going to have a vapor pressure (however small) and will lose a little mass to be deposited on the glass each time it cycles on/off.

Got to Love them Toys, I can get a good price on them if someone needs a light meter.

I have noticed that Thunderstorms cause the Filaments to open, Because of vibration, Rough Service bulbs have a more secure Filament holder within the bulb.

Thanks for all the different input about the different bulbs.

Now I am thoroughly confused about what are the best.

But that is a good thing...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey I have some of those, Payed $4.99, spent more for good batteries.

I think they were discontinued because of that piss poor switch.
When I bring mine into Brookstone with the printed lifetime warrant, it'll be nice if they give me their new 1AA flashlight with a 1 year guarantee as a replacement

DonL

Reaction score
When I bring mine into Brookstone with the printed lifetime warrant, it'll be nice if they give me their new 1AA flashlight with a 1 year guarantee as a replacement

AAAs suck, Go for the AAs. AAAAs cost more than AAs.

Can You say RIP OFF ?

The AAAA is used in the Medical devices that the people on Medicare use.

They are a big waste of money that them folks just don't have.

I save a big amount of money by staying away from doctors.

I am not afraid to die, That is part of Life. Screw the Blood suckers...

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
AAAs suck, Go for the AAs. AAAAs cost more than AAs.

Can You say RIP OFF ?

The AAAA is used in the Medical devices that the people on Medicare use.

They are a big waste of money that them folks just don't have.

I save a big amount of money by staying away from doctors.

I am not afraid to die, That is part of Life. Screw the Blood suckers...
I never heard of the AAAA, but I have used N and Z cells. Yes, AAA's suck, but in this LED flashlight, they've lasted years!

I'm not afraid of falling out of a plane either Don, but its the sudden stop I fear.

DonL

Reaction score
I never heard of the AAAA, but I have used N and Z cells. Yes, AAA's suck, but in this LED flashlight, they've lasted years!

I'm not afraid of falling out of a plane either Don, but its the sudden stop I fear.

They put 6 of the aaaas in a 9 volt battery , they use them in the blood pressure testers.

Buy them for the blood pressure testers they are $2.50 each.

Buy a good 9 Volt battery and you get 6 for $5.00.

Same Battery, 6 for the price of 2, Go figure...

Take a 9 Volt battery apart and take a look.

Make sure you are setting down, When you look...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
They put 6 of the aaaas in a 9 volt battery , they use them in the blood pressure testers.Buy them for the blood pressure testers they are $2.50 each.Buy a good 9 Volt battery and you get 6 for $5.00.Same Battery, 6 for the price of 2, Go figure...Take a 9 Volt battery apart and take a look.Make sure you are setting down, When you look...
last time I dismantled a 9v battery was after I tongue tested it when I was younger, and smashed it to bits after that MF bit me (MF= mighty fine:rolleyes:)

DonL

Reaction score
YES, math does work!:rolleyes:

Old school 9V batteries had Hearing aid batteries in them.

They seem to target us Old folks.

Guess they think that we have a lot of money.

Most Old folks did have money, Before paying the Doctor bills...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Old school 9V batteries had Hearing aid batteries in them.

They seem to target us Old folks.

Guess they think that we have a lot of money.

Most Old folks did have money, Before paying the Doctor bills...

hey, doctors have to eat too:p

medicare and secondary insurance work out pretty good so far.

DonL

Reaction score
hey, doctors have to eat too:p

medicare and secondary insurance work out pretty good so far.

I do not mind putting food on their table.

I do not want to pay for their Mercedes-Benz.

Same goes for the Church Preacher...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I do not mind putting food on their table.

I do not want to pay for their Mercedes-Benz.

Same goes for the Church Preacher...
I was Kidding: [SUP]NOT :cool:

maybe a boat payment.
[/SUP]The doctor bills Medicare 400 bucks, they pay the doctor 68 bucks, my secondary pays the doctor 12 dollars 6 months later, and then the doctor sents me a bill for 9 dollars

DonL

Reaction score
I was Kidding: [SUP]NOT :cool:

maybe a boat payment.
[/SUP]The doctor bills Medicare 400 bucks, they pay the doctor 68 bucks, my secondary pays the doctor 12 dollars 6 months later, and then the doctor sents me a bill for 9 dollars

OK, Now I understand why my Taxes are going up.

I do not mind if it helps You out.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
OK, Now I understand why my Taxes are going up.

I do not mind if it helps You out.

If you are an old fart too, then you also collect Social Security that I paid for and pay for Medicare premiums every month even though I payed my whole working life for, each paycheck too.

Just got notified that I git a tremendous 100 buck a month raise from Social Sec next year. WHOOPEE! And my Medicare premium went down 10 bucks a month. I'll try not to spend it all in one place!

I don't mind helping you out either, that's what friends are for;)

capecod

Reaction score
Those new CFL bulbs are dangerous. I bought 2 last year, and both of them failed. They got really dim one day, glowing darkish orange, and started to smell hot. The base was extremely overheated! I turned it off, took it out with a pot holder. Same thing happened about a month later with the other one.
Thank goodness I was in the same room and was there to turn them off. Have had 2 friends who were not in the same room when their bulbs failed and started to burn. They were alerted by a lampshade on fire, and the other guy heard it sparking.
I Googled this, and yes it does happen, so I went to the hardware store and stocked up on 100 and 75w old fashioned safe bulbs.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
That is a greeting from China, "hello stupid amelican; you buy any junk we make with a fake UL label on it"

....and all of our closed light bulb factories.

Last edited:

capecod

Reaction score
Yes, certainly agree, I plan never to buy another one, no matter where its made.
I have plenty of nice old/new bulbs down cellar.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Actually, you get 4 for $1.29 cfls around here from the utility. Never had one burn or blow up yet. Maybe they test them and check the producer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks