CFL Bulbs that really last for 5 Years

Users who are viewing this thread

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll second whoever it was (sorry, too lazy to look back :p ) that I like the Orange box brand bulbs. I've used all the iterations of them, and they're all pretty decent. They do turn on instantly, and the warmup period is very short. These are the ones that I've mostly used and had good luck with.

The downlights are more problematic... warm up slower, fail faster, etc. as others have said. They make some pretty nice LED drop in replacements if you use a 6" can. Most of my cans are smaller, so I can't go that route. Maybe eventually they'll catch up to my can sizes in the readily available market (6" is too big for any ceiling lower than 10'. I like 5" on 8' and 9' ceilings for general lighting, and 4" for task/accent lighting... the proportions just work better)

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I do have 8 skylghts already in the roof! they work well.

I have heard that they don't work well at night.

But it must be very cool to be able to Howl at the Full Moon from your Arm Chair...

DonL

Reaction score
My Wife did some research on the cost to Covert to LED lighting.

This is what she came up with.

$250.00 for the LED lights ( I need about 10 ) @ 25.00 each
$100.00 for a permit
$72.00 for Electrician Certified to change them because it is a modification, Insurance You know. (I think I am Qualified)
$200.00 for the inspection by a qualified Electrical inspector. (I can not inspect my own work)
––––––––––––
$ 622 Total

Does that sound about right ? Or is her calculation Off ?

Seems a bit expensive just to change 10 Light bulbs, If you follow all the rules.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're doing the can light conversions, you don't need permits/electricians. Its just changing a light bulb. The ones I'm thinking of screw into a standard base and just replace the bulb and the trim on the can light housing, no electrical requirements.

Back to $250, seem more reasonable?

Although, I think if some people had their way about things, this would be a permit operation requiring union electricians and all that jazz... <sigh>

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What is in the LED light that makes them a hazard ?

Neodymium, and other rare earth minerals. Same is in the displays on your pad/pod whatever. Prices will rise as china starts to bogard their supplies. That is also true for lead, such as smaller sealed lead-acid batteries. Most of the worlds lead is now mined in china, and environmentally it was so out of hand, even china could no longer ignore it ,so some mines were temporarily shut down. Just starting to get back up to speed.

DonL

Reaction score
Neodymium, and other rare earth minerals. Same is in the displays on your pad/pod whatever. Prices will rise as china starts to bogard their supplies. That is also true for lead, such as smaller sealed lead-acid batteries. Most of the worlds lead is now mined in china, and environmentally it was so out of hand, even china could no longer ignore it ,so some mines were temporarily shut down. Just starting to get back up to speed.

I got cracked up when I read the word bogard Jimbo®. Sorry but You crack me up.

I have heard the term "Don't bogard that Joint"

I knew it had to be a special Plumbing lingo.

That is great, You are the best...

Last edited:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
where are you buying LED lights so cheaply? $25? where? do tell :) I see one at big orange that i kind of like, since i am remodeling. i thought they were more like 50 or 60 each and came with trim. someone mentioned CREE, i think those are the same lights. they fit in a 5" or 6" can.

DonL

Reaction score
where are you buying LED lights so cheaply? $25? where? do tell :) I see one at big orange that i kind of like, since i am remodeling. i thought they were more like 50 or 60 each and came with trim. someone mentioned CREE, i think those are the same lights. they fit in a 5" or 6" can.

I normally buy my electrical stuff in bulk. Maybe my price was off a little.

Sorry for my error.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Orange box has them for $37 right now from Commercial Electric. You could get a few bucks off with a 10% coupon off that auction site, and buying a gift card at 7% off from plastic jungle dot com. I do this a lot for my Orange and Blue purchases. Works out to a total of about 16% off, so the cans would be about $31 before tax.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you're doing the can light conversions, you don't need permits/electricians. Its just changing a light bulb. The ones I'm thinking of screw into a standard base and just replace the bulb and the trim on the can light housing, no electrical requirements.

Back to $250, seem more reasonable?

Although, I think if some people had their way about things, this would be a permit operation requiring union electricians and all that jazz... <sigh>
was a little tongue in cheek there, mt

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
on HD's web site, the Model ECO-575L sells for $39.99, but at my local HD's, they are selloing for $24.99. They come with trim, which is integral with the bulb.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
Sounds like most people pay to much for the bulbs.

I buy my bulbs in a 100 pack and get a better deal.

But I think I will bogard my stash...

DonL

Reaction score
Heh, I realized that after posting... guess I'm flying through these posts a little too quick...

You are good, Most understand.

I would like to keep my cost low.

My wife likes to go by the book.

The only thing is that she calculates everything.

She is good. But I do what I can do, Not what should be done.

If I need an inspector, Maybe Bob can help me.

DonL

Reaction score
Are there no LED Bulbs made in the USA ?

If so what brand would that be ?

Looks like they all come over on the slow boat...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks