Cast to ABS fitting?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by yngwie_69, Mar 21, 2014.

1. yngwie_69

yngwie_69 New Member

Whats the proper connection for this joint to joint, I find a mj clamp dont work so good cause of the diff in OD, Once you start getting in the 3 or 4 inch, the mj sucks!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It depends on the cast as to which coupling you should go with.
    If it's very old cast, that my be something like 4-1/8" OD
    New cast is 4-3/8" OD, and plastic a bit larger than that.

If I'm connecting the old cast that is more like the copper sizing, 4-1/8", I pick up a Mission copper by no-hub coupling. The copper side for the old cast, and the no-hub side for the plastic.
    Or you may be able to use a copper by plastic coupling.

If it's new, no-hub cast, than it's cast by plastic.