Cast iron tub install

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by stevestk, Feb 5, 2008.

1. stevestk

stevestk New Member

I am going to reinstall an older cast iron tub in my daugters home and have a couple questions. This tub has the eqivalent of 'feet' on the bottom but about what seems strange to me is the feet are about 1.5 inches short of touching the ground with the tub sitting level. (the side of the tub is 19" deep, the legs come down to about 17.5". It looks like you should put 2X4s underneath to shim it but I would think they would compress some under the weight. The feet were not touching the ground when we took it out. It was supported by a leger board and the bottom edge of the tub. There also is nothing to use to attach it to walls. Is this tub held in place just by the weight? How do I install this tub?
  2. Garrett

Garrett In the Trades

either there is a flaw in manufacturing or there are some type of extensions that fit on the stubs to elevate it. I assume this is a claw foot tub? and is/was designed to sit on legs. or is it an imitation that uses a ledger.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Kohler suggests using metal shims under the legs.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1084177_2.pdf

I don't know how the metal shims get there, after the tub is dropped in place.
    Most of the time, with a cast tub, I use a stud as a stringer on the back wall that is level.
    I drop the tub down on that, and shim the apron, so that the tub does not rock.
  4. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

Reset the tub on top of the old ledger, like it was originally set.