Can't turn off shut off value to dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

Dato Da

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking about replacing my dishwasher. The line that goes to the left is the water supply to the dishwasher:

P1000678.JPG

The problem is this: I can't turn the valve in either directions. Any suggestion on what I may do to loosen it up? Thanks.

Side question: I was surprised to see a copper pipe going into the dishwasher. The house was built in 2012. Was this typical back then?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not typical if it is hard piped into the DW valve. Might just go part way then adapt to a flex tube. All I can suggest to close the valve is turn harder. But, I would suggest a 1/4 turn valve here, so just shut the water off to the sink and cut the old valve out. Then put the new valve on and change the pipe to a flex line.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should be able to turn that valve. Clockwise to close.
If it's stiff, you can loosen the bonnet nut, but it needs to be snug enough to prevent a drip.

Soft copper is fine for the dishwasher hookup. Looks to be 3/8" OD soft L

Reach4

Reaction score
I use small channel locks, 1/8 of a turn will loosen it up
I suspect that your version of small might differ from Dato Da's. I would probably opt for Visegrips, because that is what I keep most at hand.
pliers.jpg

Dato Da

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the answers.

I took the bottom panel of the dishwasher off to check if it's a flexible leading to the machine-- No, it's that same copper line going from the valve to the washer. I also found that the dishwasher was "glued" (not sure if it's silicon or epoxy) to the granite counter top, and I still couldn't budge it after I scraped off the glue.

Because of these complications (to me :)), I am leaving this job to the professional-- I decided to buy the uninstallation/installation service from where I bought the new dishwasher.

In order not to sound like an idiot when talking with the plumber who does the installation, I'd like to run a few things by you guys first:
1. Can that copper line on the left be reused for the new dishwasher? I think the conventional wisdom is to have the water supply line replaced at the same time when the dishwasher is replaced, but I just want to know if that's an option.
2. Can I have the hex fitting on the left and the copper line removed, and a flexible stainless steel hose fit to the existing shut off valve?

Thanks again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many homeowners use the installation service from the people they buy the dishwasher from.
I get so many calls from homeowners saying that they dropped off the dishwasher, but the installer didn't quite know how to replace a shutoff. Anything that isn't done with a pair of pliers seems to be beyond their skill set.

You can maybe reuse the old soft copper line, and you will need a new compression sleeve if you do. anytime copper is rebent it gets stiffer. I use a new soft copper line, or a braided stainless. I don't like reusing any old supply line. It never is worth the intial savings.

You will need to high loop or use an air-gap for the drain if it goes to the disposer.

sink_dw.jpg

Dato Da

Reaction score
Many homeowners use the installation service from the people they buy the dishwasher from.
I get so many calls from homeowners saying that they dropped off the dishwasher, but the installer didn't quite know how to replace a shutoff. Anything that isn't done with a pair of pliers seems to be beyond their skill set.

Thanks, Terry, for your answers. Now you got me worried about using that installation service. :)

You can maybe reuse the old soft copper line, and you will need a new compression sleeve if you do. anytime copper is rebent it gets stiffer. I use a new soft copper line, or a braided stainless. I don't like reusing any old supply line. It never is worth the intial savings.

You will need to high loop or use an air-gap for the drain if it goes to the disposer.

I am not going to reuse that copper line. I assume the braided stainless steel hose would fit with that exiting shut off valve; i.e. no shut off valve replacement is needed. Is that assumption correct? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks