Can you use flexible rubber cuppling at bathroom sink drain? Photo

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by 68malibu383, May 28, 2014.

1. 68malibu383

68malibu383 New Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Found in a home that was just "remodeled". I don't think this can be used here but I can't find a code reference for it. So, take a look and let me know, please.

Attached Files:

2. dj2

dj2 Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Winnetka, California
    Drain sets have reducer compression nuts to go from 1-1/4" to 1-1/2", not this type of coupling/adapter for this application. I don't know who did the remodeling and what he was thinking.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    The drain is either too high in the wall, or the installer didn't know how to cut the drain tail piece shorter.
    I've never seen a drain so "hacked" in.

I would love to see the entire drain all the wall to the wall. I can use a laugh today.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    It comes under the classification of "good workmanship".