Can you reuse brass fitting when working with PEX

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Crassius, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Crassius

Crassius New Member

Maybe this is obvious to some, but I want to be sure to avoid headaches in the future...

I want to replace a valve in a PEX run, and plan on removing the existing valve by removing the PEX by cutting the crimp ring off one side of a brass elbow like the one pictured.

I would then crimp new PEX pipe onto side of the elbow from which I cut the ring.

Will this work, or am I inviting trouble by reusing the elbow?

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you are careful you can reuse the fitting.
  3. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

You have lots of room to cut the ring off without damaging the elbow, if the elbow still has all it's barbs on it you're good to go.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Some PEX kits come with a crimp ring remover that does what you want to.