Can you lubricate Pfister cartridges - when the handle is hard to turn?

Users who are viewing this thread

AP1

Reaction score
Is it possible to lubricate Pfister faucets/cartridges? I've done that for years with Moen cartridges -- turn water valves off, pull the cartridge out, remove the center shaft, lube the o-rings with silicone grease, reinstall, good as new. It's much more economical than buying a new valve every time the faucet handle become stiff or difficult to turn.

Can I do the same thing with Pfister faucets (bathroom, tub, kitchen)? If so, what parts do I lube and how do I access them?

My immediate need is for our Pfister tub faucets. The handles are very stiff and hard to turn. The faucets use a 28000-0100 cartridge (based on the tag under the faucet handle), which I'm 99% sure has been replaced by the 974-0420.

It's surprising I can't find videos online of lubricating Pfister faucet cartridges.

I look forward to your reply.

price_phister_974-042.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can try putting some silicone grease on the O-rings, and it might last awhile unless they're damaged. Otherwise, it's replace the cartridge time.

AP1

Reaction score
You can try putting some silicone grease on the O-rings, and it might last awhile unless they're damaged. Otherwise, it's replace the cartridge time.
Thanks. Are you referring to the two oval o-rings on the back of the cartridge (opposite the handle side)?

AP1

Reaction score
Thanks for the video and photos. They help validate the ones I've seen online. From your reply, do I assume correctly that there's nothing to access or lube INSIDE the cartridge (like there is with Moen cartridges)?