Can I use silicone seal on a PVC pipe with a tiny leak?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by RobS, Aug 9, 2014.

1. RobS

RobS New Member

photo-3.jpg I have a TINY - like one drop an hour under heavy use - leak in the pipe going from my garbage disposal to the drain. I just replaced my sink and my disposal is relatively new so I am not planning to do any work under there any time soon. Can I use silicone sealant on the outside of the PVC nut to seal it up?

photo-2.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Normally you just make sure the surface is clean and snug it back up again. I have never used goo on those joints.
    RobS likes this.
  3. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

It looks like it may be at a slight angle, Maybe that is why it is not sealing.
  4. RobS

RobS New Member

Thanks!!! You gave me the confidence to turn it just a bit more. I just filled both sides of the sink 4 times and let them drain -no leak!