Can I remove glue and primer from pvc?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by r_ventura_23, Aug 4, 2014.

1. r_ventura_23

r_ventura_23 New Member

I cut a piece of 1 1/2" pvc right at an elbow and I want to put a new fitting on. However, there is some residual primer and glue on the pipe. I can't really cut anymore off due to it's proximity to a beam. Is there a way I can remove this glue and primer and put on a new fitting?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can scrape off the glue and primer, and then redo the joint. Prime, then glue. I think you will be fine. :)
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If you cut the pipe RIGHT at the elbow, you'll need a special tool to ream out the pipe from the existing fitting OR, cut the elbow off, and start with the pipe from the other side with all new. If you do still have a stub of pipe coming from the fitting, as Terry said, scrape off the excess cement and you should be able to install a coupler to go to another piece of pipe and go where you want to with it.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

He cut the elbow off and threw it away. He wants to connect to the pipe and has residual glue and primer from the original joint.
  5. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Don't try to remove the old primer. All you are seeing of the primer is the dye. The old primer is already gone.