Can I drain my softener into a nearby bathtub?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
We dont really use our basement and theres a bathtub <15 feet away from the softener. I know it wont look good, but since we dont really go down there often it's not a big deal. Can I drain the softener into the tub? Alternatively I could drain into the sump pump, but I was told not to since it's metal. The drain that I believe was installed for the softener appears to not be viable. Sucker hasnt been used for 30 years.

Thanks!

Jeremy Kern CWS I

Reaction score
The little drain you are speaking of. Are you sure that's not the condensate drain off of your heating/air system? If so you can not drain into that. A bathtub could not be used not only due to the fact that even if salt residue was washed some what away the minerals that you are trying to get rid of with the softener are all expelled down the drain and would also over time deteriorate the bath tub. If you are not using it you could pull the bath tub and then utilize the drain for the bath tub. Just make sure to install it in a sanitary fashion with an air gap.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
A bathtub could not be used not only due to the fact that even if salt residue was washed some what away the minerals that you are trying to get rid of with the softener are all expelled down the drain and would also over time deteriorate the bath tub. If you are not using it you could pull the bath tub and then utilize the drain for the bath tub. Just make sure to install it in a sanitary fashion with an air gap.

A porcelain or plastic tub can't be used!! You've got to be kidding! Remove the tub and use its drain line!! Please tell us the WQA didn't teach you to think like that.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here, I'll cut to the chase. A bath tub is not an approved waste receptacle for a water softener or any other drain line for that matter.

I've seen a whole lot of softener drain lines dumping onto concrete outside. The concrete gets eaten away and always has white salt residue so the final rinse doesn't wash it all away

Removing a bath tub is probably more of a task than he wants to get involved with although that would certainly be an alternative.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Remove tub strainer. Stick a piece of 1" (or 3/4" or whatever will fit loosely) down into the drain. Run the softener line into the PVC. As an old master carpenter buddy once said, you're not building a piano.

Jeremy Kern CWS I

Reaction score
Tom your right that it might be a little more than he wants to take on but it would be the proper way to do the job shy of hammering the floor out and running the appropriate drain nearer to the softener. Plus if he ever chose to sell his home something would have to be done prior to sell anyway. Plus you could utilize the extra spce not taken up by a tub for storage or whatever you choose.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Tom your right that it might be a little more than he wants to take on but it would be the proper way to do the job shy of hammering the floor out and running the appropriate drain nearer to the softener. Plus if he ever chose to sell his home something would have to be done prior to sell anyway. Plus you could utilize the extra spce not taken up by a tub for storage or whatever you choose.

Or, he could tell the prospective purchaser of the house that he will remove the softener, sell it or donate it to somone needing one, and the new owner can buy his own softener and deal with where to run the drain line himself or hire it done.

Reaction score
If anyone can take a look at this thread and let me know if I could in fact drain into that weird corrugated tube that'd be great.

I read a reply by Tom Sawyer that said floor drains often just drain into the foundation drain and if that is indeed a foundation drain that seems like it'd work. I dunno though. Thanks guys!

Edit: nevermind, this appears to be the weeping tile drain and it wont work.

Last edited:

DaPlumma

Reaction score
I take it you have it in a basement. And being there is a tub it must have a lavatory sink?? If so is the plumbing pvc or cast iron. Pvc hopefully, if you have enough space to install a pvc wye off of the waste arm coming out of the wall install a trap and drain into it with a air gap. But if its a pedal stool sink...uuuhh scratch those plans out. Unless your not using that sink then completely remove it and plumb it in for your need w/ air gap of course.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks