Can Gate Valve be fixed or is it toast ?

Users who are viewing this thread

DMY

Reaction score
Have a gate valve that turns on water to an outdoor spigot. I can't get it to turn on, no matter how many turns of the handle. In either direction, it just turns, turns and turns without opening or closing. NOW, is this gate valve junk ? any tricks to get it working ? what do you recommend as a solution if I replace it ? Do those sharkbite fittings really work or do I have to solder a solution. The valve is BEHIND my water heater so it is extremely difficult to reach to solder. thanks !

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It could be bad. Is the outside faucet open so that water could flow past the valve?
Sharkbite valves work if you don't want to solder.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Sometimes if you try to close a gate valve and the spindle is broken you may get lucky and catch the gate enough to get it open BUT do not try to ever close it again

Ideally you need to replace it

I never used shark bite but I have used IPS valves with compression adapters on both sides like the one below or made my own with IPS valves and then placed in 2 1/2 IPS x 1/2" copper adapters

https://blackhawksupply.com/product...HWu7Fnfrz47Ywdwfykd62Xq5FHDpcL_xoCj6kQAvD_BwE

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I trust compression over sharkbite, but if you can't get in there to solder, can you get a wrench in for the compression? Maybe... I think the valve should be replaced though. If sharkbite is the only thing you can get in there then so be it. If you manage to open the old valve, it may eventually leak through the valve packing and need to be replaced later anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks