Can advise me on how to refill neutralizer- calcite and flo mag

Users who are viewing this thread

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
I have a 1.5 neutralizer and the media is about 1/2 way down on the tank. My notes show it was originally filled with calcite and flo mag. Do I add 50/50 or is there a different ratio? Do I just unscrew port and add? Thanks.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
Upon a quick google search, it looks like 80/20 calcite to flomag is common. I have a backwashing neutralizer. Any thoughts or advice. I would like to avoid a costly service call, if I can just add the media myself. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a port at the top side of the tank to pour media into?

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
Yes. Thanks to the help of all of you, when I purchased the tank, I made sure it had a port.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have experience with calcite or the other.

What I would think would be worthwhile, if your tank is natural tan, is to shine a bright light thru in the dark. Look for the bed shaddow to expand during backwash. If the backwash is too low, the calcite can weld itself into a lump.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
I found a place I can my corosex/flomag, but it comes as 6x16 and 12x40. What do I want? The place I was going to order from had 12x40. Thanks.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Blending in magnesium oxide (aka Flomax, aka Corosex) will assist slow dissolving calcium carbonate (Calcite) to treat acidic water with 4.5 - 6.0 pH.

The ratio of Flomax to Calcite will often be 10/90 (1 lb FM to 9 lbs Calcite) for 6.0 pH, but may be increased to as much as 50/50 max for lower pH conditions.

My usual supplier only offer 6X16 mesh Clack brand Corosex.

Last edited:

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
Blending in magnesium oxide (aka Flomax, aka Corosex) will assist slow dissolving calcium carbonate (Calcite) to treat acidic water with 4.5 - 6.0 pH.

The ratio of Flomax to Calcite will often be 10/90 (1 lb FM to 9 lbs Calcite) for 6.0 pH, but may be increased to as much as 50/50 max for lower pH conditions.

My usual supplier only offer 6X16 mesh Clack brand Corosex.
The place that I found sells the Corosex, but it is the 12x40 mesh size. Is this a bad idea? How different is this from the 6x16? Thanks.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
The place that I found sells the Corosex, but it is the 12x40 mesh size. Is this a bad idea? How different is this from the 6x16? Thanks.
I bought the 12x40 and wonder if I can actually crush it up a bit then weight it out and add it. This will be a new experience. But, nobody I called really new the difference and said both sizes could be used. But, from what I saw, most used the 6x16. I just could not find any locally.

Reach4

Reaction score
12/40 is finer than 6x16.

Those numbers refer to the mesh, with a 12 mesh having 12x12=144 holes per square inch.

90% of a 12/40 media will pass thru 12 mesh, and 90% would be stopped by a 40 mesh.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Upon a quick google search, it looks like 80/20 calcite to flomag is common. I have a backwashing neutralizer. Any thoughts or advice. I would like to avoid a costly service call, if I can just add the media myself. Thanks.
Send a picture of your system so we can assist. Also need the make of the tank manufacturer. It will be on the sticker on the mineral tank.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
It is a clack 1054 tank. I have the same sized softener right next to it. I now have the calcite and the corosex in my possession. I have read that I need to:
put clack into manual backwash to remove water
shut water off
bypass clack valves
open water faucet to depressurize
use adjustable wrench to open port

I am not solid on some of those steps. I can look up how to put in backwash, but I am not sure if I need to disrupt that process or I just put it into back wash and it drains. I definitely need some clarification before I do this. I am going to weight out 5 pounds of corosex and mix it with 50 pounds of calcite. Thanks.

Attachments

• neut2.jpg
    neut2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 7
  • clacktank.jpg
    clacktank.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 10

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
Here is the current media level. It is at 34 inches. I see some places where they suggest 2/3 full, which means I am only off by 4 inches and other places where they want 10 inches from the top. I think I was probably closer to the 10 inches from the top. It has been a solid couple of years since I touched it.

Attachments

• neut3.jpg
    neut3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
put clack into manual backwash to remove water
shut water off
Backwash will not remove water from the tank. Advancing to Backwash after shutting off the supply valve will however drain off pressure from within the tank, so, you will be less likely to be sprayed in the face when removing the control valve or the media fill port.

Because your AN is equipped with a backwashing control valve, the media will be typically filled to 2/3 of the tank height, allowing sufficient space for the media to expand, lift and reclassify during the Backwash cycle.

Clydesdale6

Reaction score
OK,, thanks. So, only go to 2/3 full? So, I really only need to bring this up about 4 inches or so? I am surprised that is all it has used in the past couple of years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks