Can a loop be used to improve water flow?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by zver11, Sep 8, 2013.

1. zver11

zver11 New Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Philadelphia pa
    My house was originally plumbed in copper(based on remnants visible in unfinished area of basement). It is currently mostly CPVC. I suspect this is due to the acid well water.

I have 1 pair(hot/cold) of 3/4" CPVC line feeding over an unfinished ceiling to under a finished ceiling and then splitting to supply two inlaw suites. A 1/2" CPVC line then comes back along the outside wall to supply an outside faucet. It would be simple to cap the 1/2" line and do a tee from the 3/4" supply across the unfinished ceiling to improve flow to the outside faucet and cap off the old 1/2" line.

My question is: is there any drawback if I, instead, put a tee on the new 3/4" line going to the outside faucet and reverse the flow from the 1/2" line that previously supplied the outside faucet to feed the inlaw suites . This would increase total cold water flow into the inlaw suites (one 1/2"+one 3/4" line instead of one 3/4" line) but with water coming from two directions meaning the cold water pipes are in a loop as opposed to the one directional flow that is normal.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    I suspect your flow problem is due to the 1/2" CPVC. The interior diameter of CPVC is approximately one size smaller than copper pipe of the same size. I realize this sounds weird, but what I mean is 1/2" CPVC is approximately the same inside as 3/8" copper. 3/4" CPVC is about equal to 1/2" copper. I think it is this size difference is what you need to compensate for.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    The loop will increase the water flow.