Can a loop be used to improve water flow?

Users who are viewing this thread

zver11

Reaction score
My house was originally plumbed in copper(based on remnants visible in unfinished area of basement). It is currently mostly CPVC. I suspect this is due to the acid well water.

I have 1 pair(hot/cold) of 3/4" CPVC line feeding over an unfinished ceiling to under a finished ceiling and then splitting to supply two inlaw suites. A 1/2" CPVC line then comes back along the outside wall to supply an outside faucet. It would be simple to cap the 1/2" line and do a tee from the 3/4" supply across the unfinished ceiling to improve flow to the outside faucet and cap off the old 1/2" line.

My question is: is there any drawback if I, instead, put a tee on the new 3/4" line going to the outside faucet and reverse the flow from the 1/2" line that previously supplied the outside faucet to feed the inlaw suites . This would increase total cold water flow into the inlaw suites (one 1/2"+one 3/4" line instead of one 3/4" line) but with water coming from two directions meaning the cold water pipes are in a loop as opposed to the one directional flow that is normal.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suspect your flow problem is due to the 1/2" CPVC. The interior diameter of CPVC is approximately one size smaller than copper pipe of the same size. I realize this sounds weird, but what I mean is 1/2" CPVC is approximately the same inside as 3/8" copper. 3/4" CPVC is about equal to 1/2" copper. I think it is this size difference is what you need to compensate for.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks