Buying a house with plumbing issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
1-1/2 is standard for a tub, but 2" is code minimum for any buried pipe.

Rip it out, cap everything. Ask the city how extensive that needs to be. It could be kind of major - one of the plumbers mentionned something like this on another thread, something about having to pour cement down the drains to make sure it wouldn't be put back. Easier than digging them up, I guess.

Frenchie is right 2" is the min size for under ground. Sorry for my mistake.

I agree with others that said you should fight this.

Nate R

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the info! I think I definitely need to start getting more agressive with the city and bank who owns it.

Definitely. REOs are not good to begin with for the bank, ESPECIALLY now. They are not in the real estate business. Usually w/ foreclosures the bank will not do any work or have any done, but they often will give credits, as was mentioned. So I wouldn't expect them to do the work for you.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Studor Vents aka Air Admittance Vents can not be the sole venting system for a house. There must be at least one vent through the roof. As I understand it, some areas forbid their use and some plumber don't especially like them, however, they do work and might be of help in this situation. As far as the drain size, a tub/shower can get by with a 1-1/2" drain because if the drain clogs, the tub will provide protection from flooding. A shower alone needs the 2". The only thing that really should have to be addresses is the venting issue. Given the the stupidity of the other requirements in you city, they likely would not approve Studor vents. If you want more information on these vents, do a Google on "Studor Vents".

"Studor Vents"...Thanks Gary. I couldn't remember the name of it to save my life.....LOL

Mike

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Studor is a brand name (in the same vain as Kleenex is a brand name that seconds for a tissue). The thing is an air admittance valve or AAV.

Lakes268

Reaction score
Good news. The city inspector will allow me to cap off the plumbing and will inspect it and certify it himself. The PVC drains do need to be capped-off below grade, so there will be some minor concrete work involved. This saves me a ton of money up front!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks