Building a New House - Supply Store Pushes Kohler

Users who are viewing this thread

Birdman

Reaction score
Just discovered this forum and spent a bunch of time reading older posts. We are in the process of building a new home and spent a few hours yesterday at our local plumbing supply store.
We were planning on getting Toto toilets but this particular supplier only carries Kohler. He was recommending the Kohler Santa Rosa (sp?) and the Kohler Cimarron (sp?) as their top 2 toilets and basically said they should be just as good as the Toto.
I found a thread on this forum from 2004 where the Cimarron recv'd some pretty negative reviews, both on its own, and as compared to the Toto models. Have the Kohler toilets improved since 2004?
Here's the question, are the Kohler toilets any good (they are not cheap, at least here in Toronto) or should we just go to a different supplier and get a Toto, and if so, which Toto model? We like the one piece models and are very concerned about "a good flush". (We have 4 kids who spend a lot of time in the bathroom!)
TIA (Thanx in advance. - I have a lot of reading to do on this forum)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilets

I think people spend too much time agonizing over their toilet choice. I have used many different makes and models and as long as I do not opt for the cheapest ones, I have never had any customers complain about the performance. I have had Eljer one piece ones in my house for 10 years and they have worked perfectly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cimarron and the Santa Rosa will plug more often then the Toto line.
I know that from experience.
It has to do mainly with the poor trapway design.

But like hj says, any toilet will work It does for him.

However for the rest of us, I do wind up removing Cimarrons and Santa Rosa's and replacing them.

For people with kids, they seem to notice.
hj, do you have any grand kids coming over?

santa_rosa_side.jpg

Kohler K-3323-0 toilet in white, side view

cim_1_trapway.jpg

Bad trapway design on the Cimarron.

Birdman

Reaction score
Very helpful, thanx for the comments. I have spent the past couple of hours reading about toilets, checking web sites etc. In our last house we had 2 Eljer elongated toilets (don't recall which ones) and they looked nice but would often require multiple flushes. We also had a number of Toto (again, don't recall which model) but never had a problem with them.
Now that we are building a new house, it seems as if we should go for Toto and not mess around.
Does anyone on the board have suggestions for a good place in Toronto, Canada to purchase Toto toilets? I know 'Taps' has them, but I find they tend to be a little on the pricey side. We have a lot of bathrooms, so we will need a lot of toilets.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanx

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Funny you should ask, I just sold a Beige Toto Drake to a previous customer in BC Canada.
He will be coming down next week to pick it up.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Very helpful, thanx for the comments. I have spent the past couple of hours reading about toilets, checking web sites etc. In our last house we had 2 Eljer elongated toilets (don't recall which ones) and they looked nice but would often require multiple flushes. We also had a number of Toto (again, don't recall which model) but never had a problem with them.
Now that we are building a new house, it seems as if we should go for Toto and not mess around.
Does anyone on the board have suggestions for a good place in Toronto, Canada to purchase Toto toilets? I know 'Taps' has them, but I find they tend to be a little on the pricey side. We have a lot of bathrooms, so we will need a lot of toilets.
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Thanx

Depending on where exactly in Toronto you are there is:
Canaroma
Dupont Plumbing
Tubs the Ultimate Bath store
Roman Bath
Marcon Bath

Off the top of my head these are good retail stores that carry Toto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks