Breathing sound coming from my tank

Users who are viewing this thread

MRNYC51

Reaction score
Hey guys I am no plumber and need help stopping this sound that has been driving me nuts. I don't really want to dish out money if it's a simple fix so I turned to you guys here. There is a loud breathing sound coming from the tank even though the tank is full please help.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The water is running over the top of the overflow so the sound you hear is the water running. The easiest thing to do would be to replace the fill valve. ....You might be able to adjust the water height or float so it does not fill up so high or the valve could have some trash inside that is preventing it from fully closing. ....That white plastic screw in the top is probably how the height is adjusted.

This looks like your fill valve:
http://www.griggindustries.com/page788.html

There are other fill valves that would work, if you get the right size. You can look at the packaging to determine if it will fit your toilet. Set the water height so it is an inch below the top of the overflow pipe and you should be fine.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Sound is occational or intermittant vs constant I presume.

Water level looks high. I am wondering if a little water is climbing down the overflow tube and turning on the valve to replace the lost water. Alternatively maybe there is a slow leak in the flapper. Try taking a cup of water out of the tank. In that case, until the next flush
  1. does the water level stay constant?
  2. does the sound stay away?
If the water does not fall further, crank the white screw on the fill valve a few turns CCW. If the water level drops, clean the mating surface under the flapper and replace the flapper.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have a closed water system (i.e., a checkvalve or PRV installed) and do not have an expansion tank, OR, if your static water pressure is quite high, toilet fill valves are often the weakest link in your plumbing system, and the high pressure can make them leak, making some weird sounds. If your water pressure is not excessive (should not exceed 80psi ever), IF that valve is serviceable in the toilet, replacing the seal should fix it. SOme can be serviced, some need to be replaced when that happens. I have had good luck with Korky valves. SOme prefer Fluidmaster. I think the Korky tends to be quieter in operation and seems to last as long. BOth have easily replaceable seals when they wear out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks