Braided faucet connector directly to copper male fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

itsr-ent

Reaction score
I'm installing a basement utility sink where I ran 1/2" copper down the foundation wall. I used 1/2" ball valves half way down the wall (about 3 feet from the sink), so I was going to skip the angle valve/straight valves.

I figured I could solder on copper male adapters and connect the braided faucet connectors directly...but even a 1/2" slip to 3/8" male thread copper adapter is too large for a standard braided faucet connector to thread on.

Then I read that angle/straight stops have "straight" threads that rely on the faucet connector's gasketed connection to seal. Any way to use these straight to copper? Not a big deal if I have to use 2 stop valves...just more curious than anything else.

Thanks!

itsr-ent

Reaction score
You could use one of these http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-...ssion-x-Compression-Adapter-LF-A230/202254878 but it might be just as easy, and probably cost about the same, to use the shutoffs you have.

Thanks! I'm not a huge fan of compression fittings, and I think for that price I'll just use 2 straight stop valves. I guess what I'm really looking for is a 1/2" sweat to 3/8" compression (male threads) fitting, which probably doesn't exist or isn't common because it's easier to just use a stop valve.

itsr-ent

Reaction score

JerryR

Reaction score
What's your reluctance to use compression fittings? They've been used by master plumbers and homeowners for years, the good mini ball valve stops are problem free and so easy to replace if needed years down the road.

I replaced all 19 original ones in my 1997 built house last year with Dahl stops. Only reason I replaced them was they would not completely shut off water, not ball valve type. The mini ball valve Dahl valves are very nice. Not one of the original or new ones leaked at the compression fitting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Chinese tend to take liberties on the threading of the pipe fittings we get here. There are still some made in the USA, but a lot of them are not. If the distributor has good QA/QC, then it doesn't really matter, but I've seen some really bad fittings. So, it doesn't sound unusual that things might get tight after a different amount of turns with two different threaded items. Out of round, torn threads, improper diameter, threads not to spec, etc. Pipe dope and/or tape can cover a lot of sins. Actually, compression starts to look better and better!

Reach4

Reaction score
I doubt that you are a fan of Sharkbite. Their U281LF is a "dishwasher elbow" that could do the job. You could clean up the sweat adapter you have with a 3/8 inch NPT die. Click Inbox above.

itsr-ent

Reaction score
Use 1/2 x 1/2 male solder adapters and get 1/2x1/2 faucet connection hoses.

But the 1/2 faucet connection hose threads are compression (straight) while the 1/2 male threaded copper adapter is tapered threads, right?

I don't have anything against Sharkbite or compression fittings...I have OCD and worry about stuff. So I can lose sleep wondering if the compression valve is going to blow off somehow OR I can use a threaded valve and worst case scenario it doesn't seal and drips a little. :)

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to use the 1/2" swt to 3/8" male threaded copper fittings, straight stop valves, and 3/8" faucet connector hoses. It doesn't add much cost to the project and it's always nice to be able to shut off the water as close to the faucet as possible if cartridges need to be replaced, etc.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; 1/2 faucet connection hose threads are compression (straight) while the 1/2 male threaded copper adapter is tapered threads,

And your question is? The connectors do not care whether the thread is straight or tapered, so just connect them.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There are hundreds of millions of compression shutoffs installed across the USA...it really isn't all that hard to install one and not have it leak.

If you're going to try to solder on a threaded coupling, why not just solder on a valve? One less fitting that can have issues!

A Sharkbite, or any of the push-on fittings, work, but first, you have to make sure you've deburred the end of the pipe carefully, or you can slice the O-rings on the way in. Make sure to seat the thing the full depth, and keep in mind that the SS teeth holding it in place will still allow it to rotate around the pipe.

itsr-ent

Reaction score
quote; 1/2 faucet connection hose threads are compression (straight) while the 1/2 male threaded copper adapter is tapered threads,

And your question is? The connectors do not care whether the thread is straight or tapered, so just connect them.

I didn't think it would seal properly without both threads being tapered. Also the 3/8" side of the faucet connector hose was no where near the same size physically as the 3/8" copper threads.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The connector uses a gasket so it does NOT need the tapered threads. The two 3/8" items use completely different standards, and were NEVER meant to connect together.

itsr-ent

Reaction score
The connector uses a gasket so it does NOT need the tapered threads. The two 3/8" items use completely different standards, and were NEVER meant to connect together.

But the 1/2" will fit together?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A nipple typically has iron pipe (tapered) threads. A compression fitting typically has straight threads. Tapered threads require something to make the seal, either pipe dope or tape. Straight threads require a gasket, or in the case of a compression fitting, the compression ring. The faucet supply hose typically has a gasket in the end and seals more like a garden hose rather than a compression fitting with the ring. The straight threads there just make it easy to apply enough pressure to make the seal work. On a tapered pipe thread, that taper helps to lock things together, but you need something in between to make the seal...the tapered action compresses the tape, and the pipe dope just fills in between the threads performing the same task - the seal. You can use both on that type, but should NOT use either of them on a compression fitting.

Atomic1

Reaction score
I have the same question as the OP and reading through this thread was like pulling teeth....and at the end of this, I want to be absolutely sure that connecting the female end of a 1/2" braided connector, which has straight threads, has no issue connecting to a 1/2 male copper sweat adapter which as tapered threads. The issue that comes to my mind is stripping the threads off the copper because they're not fully engaged.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The issue that comes to my mind is stripping the threads off the copper because they're not fully engaged.

A braided connector with 1/2" FIP threads onto any 1/2" pipe thread, whether it's a straight thread from a faucet, or a pipe thread.
No dope and no tape needed. The ends of the supply line has a rubber cone for the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks