Boiler seems to unsoften water

Users who are viewing this thread

Lucy65

Reaction score
We have a water softener which seems to work fine. We live in London with hard water. I have noticed that we get limescale marks on our draining board. I have tested the hardness of hot and cold water, the cold water is fine, but the hot water is quite a bit harder, but not nearly as hard as the unsoftened water. Does it make any sense that the water comes out of the boiler harder than when it went in?

I am thinking of purchasing an induction radio wave limescale inhibitor such as:
http://www.easyh2o.co.uk/details.asp?ProductID=105
D0 you think it would solve the problem? If so would it matter if I installed it before or after the water passes through the water softener? The easiest place would be after the water softener, either on the cold pipe going into the boiler or the hot pipe coming out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When was the softener added, before or after the hot water tank was installed? Older WH tanks often fill up somewhat with mineral deposits when there's no softener involved. Feeding them with soft water means that the water can start to dissolve some of those mineral in the tank. If you're lucky, you can flush most of that out of the tank, and, eventually, it would all be gone, but that's not a certainty. You may need to replace the WH with a new one so that there aren't a bunch of minerals inside. Might be another reason, but soft hot water makes it easier for it to dissolve any minerals anywhere in the system.

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect that device is a hoax or a situation where even the "inventor" and sellers think it is real due to wishful thinking. If it appeared to work, I expect it would be a placebo effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment If the power were turned off, but the user thought it was powered, I predict it would work as well. That Wikipedia article does not say hoax as such, but if there was a real effect, a proper study could show that. I expect it to be as effective as a magnetic therapy bracelet. With your posting of the link, I initially suspected you might have been associated with the sellers. I don't think that now.

So what is happening with your hardness test? Could it be that the test tests differently with different temperature water? Maybe try drawing a hot and a cold sample. Let both settle to room temperature. Then test both. If you let the samples sit long enough to equalize the disolved gases (oxygen and carbon dioxide are the ones I am thinking of), that would also remove a possible factor that might affect a test.

Is the water from the hot water tap the same as goes through the radiating surfaces? Usually there is a heat exchanger where the heating water and the potable hot water are separated. If the system was in use for a period before softened water was introduced, the hardness materials could have been deposited. Then the softened water would start picking up the previously deposited materials.

My comments are not based on experience.

EDIT:
http://www.wcponline.com/2016/10/15/water-treatment-enigma-part-1/ makes positive comments on TAC.
The only catalytic device that appears to actually meet its performance claims (to my knowledge) is template-assisted crystallization (TAC) media. This process, which came on the scene in 1998, appears to minimize scaling without requiring regeneration or utilizing ion exchange. TAC utilizes polymer beads, not unlike the ion exchange resin in traditional water softeners. These beads, however, contain microscopic nucleation sites that cause calcium and magnesium crystals to form at the site and ultimately detach from the resin into the water as insoluble particles. These colloidal-sized particles do not attach to surfaces and are carried out with the water. As a result, although TAC does not actually remove hardness, it does minimize scale attachment to surfaces. This process requires no power, chemical addition or backwashing. The life of the resin is typically about three years. It has been thoroughly tested by credible, third-party institutions and has been shown to generally perform as claimed; however, the local water chemistry appears to have an effect on performance.​
The last time I tried to find info on independent testing, I was thinking that the testing info offered was not independent. I am not at all a good judge of such stuff. If it is that effective, I would think there would be a fair amount of independent verification.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
The device is snake oil, versions of it have been around for decades. Another version uses a permanent magnet, this one uses an energy wasting electromagnet. Neither works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks