Boiler firing without call for heat on cold start

Users who are viewing this thread

Dusty1013

Reaction score
Recently installed new boiler with indirect water heater. Boiler has a hydrostat 3150 controller. Should the burner fire if there is no call for heat if I have it set up for "cold start". I have the high limit set for 170 with the diff -25. I have the low limit set to off (according to manual). When the water temp falls to 145 the burner fires up. Is this what it is supposed to do or should it only fire if one of my thermostats call for heat?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your indirect needs heat, that will fire the boiler. Some boilers also have a freeze protection routine, so if the sensor senses the potential of the system freezing, it will turn on enough to prevent that.

Dusty1013

Reaction score
If none of my thermostat call for heat, including my indirect should the burner still fire up if it falls to 145? The temperature in my boiler is falling about 1 degree a minute, so the burner is firing up ever 25 minutes right now. I have my diff. set at 25

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
This is really a Hydrostat 3150 question, not a generic question. If the answer isn't in the manual , call their technical help line to find out if cold-start means truly cold start when enabled, or if some other progammable setting interferes with it.

On page 4 of the manual it states:

"To set COLD START operation
Operates on call for heat only.

Low Temperature Limit
Make sure Low Temperature Limit is turned fully
counter-clockwise (OFF position)."

Like you, I read that to mean that it should not be firing when there is no call for heat from either the indirect or the heating zones, yet it sounds like the behavior is something else.

FWIW: Most homes don't need anywhere NEAR 170F water to meet the heat load on design, day, but depending on how much radiation you have relative to the boiler's output you might need it to be that high (or higher) to keep it from short cycling, especially if the system is cut up into zones.

I assume you have it set up to use the pre-purge function? (Recommended for efficiency, since it lowers the average operating temp for lower standby losses, and minimizes the total burner-on time.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks