Bob Vila, installing a Toto with Unifit adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Bob Vila watches a plumber install a Toto Carolina toilet. This model uses a Unifit adapter so the rough-in can be changed if needed.
Most toilets like the Toto Ultramax use the standard 12" rough-in and don't need an adapter.
The Toto Utramax drops right in as an easy install, but it's fun to watch someone else and their thoughts on the Unifit equipped models.

Removed dead links to the video.

Last edited:

jbell94521

Reaction score
Website
www.myhealthoptimizer.com
Unifit - Measure and Adjust?

IN the Bob Vila video they don't show them measuring and then adjusting the Unifit adapter so that the distance from the back of the tank to the wall is correct. Isn't that something that should really be done? I have never installed one of these, so I am not sure, but it seems logical. Also, I can see where with one-piece toilets, having a small gap behind the tank is no big deal, as long as it is not too large so that it looks wrong. What about two-piece toilets? Is the object there to have a accurate fit so that the back of the tank just contacts the wall? That way the tank does not get moved when a user leans back against it, which could otherwise distrub the seal between the tank and the bowl. Am I on the right track with this? Thanks for any help and advice.

flange_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Tanks should never touch the wall.

I've almost never heard of someone breaking a tank by using the toilet as an easy chair. If you try hard enough, I'm sure you can break anything.

I will say this about the video, I had a hard time watching, just because it seems that neither the plumber or Bob have seen one of these. But then there are plenty of things I haven't seen either.
We have installed hundreds. It's new, but it's also pretty neat how you can change the rough-in if needed.

unifit_choice.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The first thing with any toilet is to determine the flange to wall measurement. If that is correct, with the Uni-fit, you just bolt on the correct one...the one end is centered on the flange and uses the same bolts that a 'normal' toilet would bolt to. The other end is fixed, based on the version you choose. There's no adjustment, it's all in selecting the proper one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks