Best toilet supply line.

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Mad Plumber, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Mad Plumber

Mad Plumber Mad Skills

I need to know the best line to use from the supply shut off to the toilet. We know a friend that had the flexible plastic crimped line blow off while on vacation. I have looked at solid gray line that came on my house and it lasted 30 years and they have been great. now everone is going to stainless. If stainless what brand fstgeorge
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I use almost any braided stainless except the Watts Floodsafe ones... They have problems!
  3. grazzy

grazzy New Member

i like the braided stainless also for durability. occasionally i've had some problems with them leaking where they connect to the fill valve, but i believe that was the fault of the valve rather than the line.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

The gray ones are polybutylene and I recommend that they be changed any time I come across them in a building.
  5. Herk

Herk Plumber

I've had no problems using polybutylene or PEX tubes, except for a commercial one that somebody kicked off.

But I use a lot of Fluidmaster - the ones that are very solid, non-twisting, with real stainless steel, not the plastic that looks like stainless steel.

6. Number 1 reason for a service call when it relates to a toilet supply leak.

They either bust at the bends or when they freeze, right above the nuts.

Can't expect much @ .38 cents a piece.

On one of my forums there was a spam post involving corrugated stainless tubing like CSST configuration.....3/8" and very easy to use.

Kinda like the older type flex copper ones we used to see years ago.

Can't find them in my area but I was curious to know if they were expensive or not.

I stick with Fluidmaster SS supplies; reliable and no reliability problems.

I can upsell the replacement of PEX supplies in the entire house by taking one off and showing people how easily they snap off right above the nut where the ferrule was tightening down on the pipe or at the faucet supply nut.

Compress/distort/strain plastic and it's a given it will harden right there where you did it.
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

This is the kit that I use.