Bathtub not Centered

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ccorneil, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ccorneil

ccorneil New Member

I had a bathtub installed yesterday and realized after the plumber left that it wasn't centered properly. The bathtub sits in an alcove and it is a little wider than the previous tub was. The way it sits now there isn't much room next to the wall. Is there anything I can do? I haven't paid the plumber for the work he did yet. :confused:

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2008
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Do you have a written contract with the plumber that details how the installation was to be? If so, you can require that the job be redone according to specs. If you do not have a written agreement, then it's a crapshoot.
  3. ccorneil

ccorneil New Member

I do have a written contract, but it doesn't go into detail. It just says install bathtub and fixtures. Do I have any hope?
  4. ccorneil

ccorneil New Member

Terry,

Good idea......I will post a photo of the tub when I get home today so that it is more clear.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

We have no idea what you mean by "centered" especially when you say the new tub is wider than the old one. Is this a deck mounted tub with space between it and the walls on three sides?
  6. ccorneil

ccorneil New Member

Here is a photo of the tub. I will post more if it helps to explain how it has been installed.

Attached Files:

• tub.jpg
      tub.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

So, is it that the filler is not centered on the end of the tub? Was that piping replaced by the same plumber, or was it there from the old one? It will work fine, if you paid him to install the tub (drain, overflow), but not a new valve he left it where it was (from apparantly a narrower tub). So, you still haven't described what the problem is and it's not evident from the picture.
  8. ccorneil

ccorneil New Member

He replaced the pipes and the valve. Attached is another photo. I am sure that it is installed properly. The problem is whether or not it will look off center when it is finished.

Attached Files:

9. Cass

Cass Plumber

Normally the shower head, valve and tub spout should line up with the tub drain not the over flow unless the drain is off set...
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  10. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

The tub filler spout pipe should be centered on the tub drain. If it's not then the plumber needs to come back out and move it. It will still work but look like crap.
  11. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson I teach guitar:You call that a job?

I noticed that your CI tub does not have a tile lip, correct, and it does appear that you have a shower head involved in this tub, right?

Some companies have tiling flanges that 'clip on' so as to 'prevent' water from leaking over the shoulders. Not always the best solution.

Make very, very sure that this issue is addressed by whoever is doing the work.

HE
  12. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Looks like a potential leaker to me!
  13. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

Looks like a Claw foot tub. Definitely does not belong where it is now.
  14. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson I teach guitar:You call that a job?

Except that most 'claw foot' tubs are glazed on the outside as well, and this certainly appears to be raw cast iron.

You're just seeing the legs, which most have.

HE
  15. gregsauls

gregsauls Homeowner

Think this tub was designed to be set into a deck?
  16. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

That is what I am thinking, now that you mention it.
  17. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tub

That tub, the way it is now configured, is not designed for that installation. Without a tile flange around the perimeter it WILL leak when the shower is used. And once the tile is installed it will not be fixable without tearing the wall apart. IF the valve is not centered on the drain it will be noticeable if anybody is concerned enough to look at it. And usually the tile flange has to be installed before the tub in inserted into the alcove.